Channel catfish on a fly rod?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by catfishsteve, Aug 2, 2006.

1. catfishsteve

catfishsteve New Member

State:
    Omaha, NE
    :big_smile:
    I've been targeting them in my float tube at a lake here in town with my 8 wt fly rod. Chumming them up to the surface with dog food and then slipping them a little deer hair bug. What a riot!!

Best so far is 29", lots around 15-20". Got a 27" tonight right at dark. I'll have pics later on!

Hey, I just made my 100th post!!

2. Guthooked

Guthooked New Member

State:
    Ga
    Steve a friend of mine catches channels on a flyrod too. I havn't mastered a flyrod yet but it looks like a blast.

3. Guess fish will bite on anything. Guess if you want to get cretive.. use a flyrod and impress your friends.

4. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I'm impressed, and I don't own a flyrod.

5. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I'm actually gonna try this thismorning! I'm going deep though with intermediate line and Discohead nymphs on a "Pointfly n dropper" rig.
    Wish me luck!

6. Jimmy Don

Jimmy Don Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I have never gone after cats with a flly rod, but I did catch one on a woolley booger once while smallmouth fishing.

7. polecatter

polecatter Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    A flyrod with slipfloat, using dip bait, and single hook (for quick release) using sponge or dip worm and, fishing "close-in" (rip rap) during the spawn in late April and throughout May in Oklahoma is great fishing and great fun.

Looper rigs would be excellent for this.........gonna order me some soon!

Larry

8. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I have caught them bream fishing useing black gnats etz:big_smile: FUN

9. LBM

LBM New Member

State:
    Prairie Village, Kansas
    I don't use a flyrod but I do use a 10ft crappie pole fishing for channel around fish feeders.

I used to fish around the fish feeders using cut bream. One morning I hadn't caught enough bait when it was getting close to time to work the feeder for channel. I continued to work my 10ft crappie pole with a blue and white tube jig around the feeder attempting to catch some of the guills hanging around the feeder. Well a 3-4 pound channel picked my tube jig up and I discovered what a blast it was using the 10ft crappie pole to land channel. In the past using my 10ft pole fishing for crappie I have caught and landed 4-5 pound bass and a flathead. And I was amazed and how well larger fish could be handled with a long pole it you could just keep them out of the cover.

With the 10ft rod I now use 40 pound braided line with a circle hook and use varioius sized splitshot dependiing on the rate I want the bait to fall through the water column. I just work around the feeder flipping the bait to the feeder letting it fall though the water and then letting it set a bit on the bottom then bring it out and flip it back to the feeeder again. I just watch the loose line as the bait decends and when the bait is picked up I just do a horizontal sweep with the long pole to set the hook.

I have caught quite a few channel over 10 pounds and 3 or 4 over 15 pounds using this method. I release all at 10 pounds or greater. To say the least this is a abslolute hoot to catch fish this way.

The biggest problem with this method is the anchor chain on the fishfeeder. Once a fish is hooked the first thing is to get it turned away from the chain and out into open water. I have had to break several fish off once they have wrapped in the anchor chain. One morning after breaking off I later on caught that very fish again because it had the circle hook and line hanging from its mouth.

I normally fish for crappie winter, spring and fall but the summer time I like fishing for channel. I can even say I prefer eating filetted channel even better than crappie. With this method I'm able to keep myself supplied with eating fish two nites a week year around - one meal of crappie and one of channel.

I still consider myself clueless as how to catch catfish using the "normal catfishing methods". One of my reasons for getting on the BOC is to try and learn more about the traditional methods of catfishing. I don't think I will catch any really bigguns with my method but I sure do have fun with it.

One of the problems with my method is that the number of feeders around are limited and one might find other fishers already fishing the feeder. With out others around the feeder you can work 360 degrees around it but with another boat or shore fishers at it you can only work 180 degrees around it and still share the feeder. With more fishers around the feeder they could just take positions further away in a circle around the feeder and anchor up and still share the feeder. My preference is to not anchor up since I like to get away from it once a fish is hooked and not have to worry about my boat anchor being in the way while playing a fish.

Hopefully from the BOC I can learn about the traditional fishing methods and gain confidence in using them if I find the feeders being used when I get there.

Guess I ranted on long enough. Anyhow folks I sure enjoy reading the BOC.

10. catcatcher311

catcatcher311 New Member

State:
    Ne
    LBM a 15 or over fish sounds pretty big too me.

11. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I have heard of people, doing well on a flyrod.

12. john barber

john barber New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I HAVE CAUGHT A FEW ON THE FLY ROD'' BOY THATS ALOT OF FUN TOO.'' :lol: