Channel Catfish - My Personal Best

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by treddinwater, Jul 1, 2006.

1. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    My dad and I were fishing our families property on a 50 acre residential lake in Brown County lastnight and this morning. Got there around 7:30 and caught about a dozen bluegills for the night. Got my big lines thrown out with bluegills/sunfish on them. Well I had my ultralight baited up with a nightcrawler on a 2/0 hook and I threw it no more then 10 feet out of this seawall and I was setting it down on the seawall and next thing I know my line is getting a solid tug, hasen't even been in the water for more then a minute. I set the hook and felt a beast on the other end. After 15 minutes of fighting this fish on 8lb test, I get him up next to the dock and we net a 16lb channel with a huge gut. I got pictures of our fish caught on this trip, but they probably won't get developed for a while. Well, I've found a bit of a honey hole so I throw one line right out there with a bluegill on it, 30 minutes later the rod is bent way over and my dad grabs it (we were hoping this would be the big fish for his Bday), but after a fair fight we land a 7lb flathead. Rebaited and threw out, this time we are getting a lot of small hits and he takes it and sets the hook, something HUGE is on. We soon pull up a giant softshell turtle with a shell thats probably 24" in diameter. That was about it for the night except for some smaller stuff, but this morning I go right back out to my honey hole and throw another bluegill out there. After about 15 minutes a nice fish hooks itself, another really great fight, but this time I'm using my cat rod with 30lb test on it. Turns out to be a 14lb channel cat, about the same length as the one from the night before, but didn't have quite the girth of my biggest one ever! I was hoping to get my first flattie of the year (yeah I'm still waiting), but that PB channel made the trip all that worth it, and to see my dad so happy on his Bday was worth it too. Well, tomorrow morning I'm headed up to the Fox River in Illinios for a few days and hopefully I can get my first flattie of the year up there. Tight lines everybody!

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Congrats on your PB channel!!!

3. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    Great channel cat, and congrats!

-Red

4. bubbasmouse

bubbasmouse New Member

State:
    Chesterfield South Carolina
    Congrats on the big fish.

5. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
  6. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    It's a good thing your dad had fun on his b-day. Nice fishing night huh? good luck on the Fox - go get those flatties!

7. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    great job man. ill have to find some holes and use bluegills for em! sounds like you had yourself a blast!

8. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Congrats on your new PB.

9. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Sounds like a great trip to me. Congrats on the PB.

10. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    treadin be careful andhave a good trip. Congrats on the pb.hope you catch the big one.

11. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Congrats on the personal best Channel Cat! That is a real nice one!

12. Buddrice

Buddrice New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Congrats on your PB cat.Sounds like you and your dad had a blast.A good BD for him..Reps for your catch....

13. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Good job on your pb.

14. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

congrats on your nice catches

15. Limbline

Limbline New Member

State:
    Missouri