Channel catfish location in small lakes?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by jerseycat9, May 20, 2006.

1. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    I liive in jersey 99.9% of catfisherman fish our two main rivers.But our state stocks over 70,000 in 1000 lakes but most are less than 200acres and most of if not all of these lakes are ignored by catfisherman and every now and then someone catches a monster by accident soany info would be great

2. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I think the best thing to do would be get out there and see what works. The more time you spend out there the better chance you'll have of finding what works. In my experience it seems like catfish in lakes just cruise around.

3. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    thanks for the info any other info would be great

4. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    I really don't know anything about where you are at but here what usually what works for me is fishing shallow at night when the weather warms up. I fish quite a few smaller lakes and usually have my best luck only casting about 10 to 15 feet out if that at night when it cools down a few degrees. During the daytime if you can find some structure/cover or some channels that helps as well. Hope this helps a little and good luck.

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Shallow water works for me while night fishing in small lakes.

6. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I went yesterday to a small lake and usually when I go to smaller lakes first thing that I look for is trees thats laying in the water or brushy piles, and at night time I fishs closer to the banks and usually this is where I find my catfish I hope this helps bro and hope you catch some fish.

7. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    never knew they would come in so close not to much by way of structure but plenty of weeds and pads how does that play into there behavior if anyone knows

8. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    If you want blues or channels and you got a boat, catch some shad and drift them across the main channel for the lake. This method outfishes any other method for me. Alot of the fish wait in the channel for food to come by for an easy meal/ambush.

If you dont have a main channel, find where the schools of shad are and the cats will be following those schools.

People say if the sandbass are schooling, then the cats will be below them picking off the dead or dieing shad the bass miss, I havnt done any real testing to confirm if this is true, but it would make sence.

If you dont have a boat find either a feeder creek, or some structure as your first targets.

Blues suspend alot so dont think you have to fish on the bottom. Either put on a bobber, or make one of the drift fishing rig that keeps your bait off the bottom.

And last thing, take extra bait. Takes some hotdogs, liver, corn, tortilla, blood baits, doughbaits, and put out a few different types of bait. Some days the fish just dont want some baits.

9. suddawg

suddawg New Member

I'm with Loki1982 on this. The first spot I usually try on a new lake is a feeder creek. Good Luck

SudDawg

10. jerellman

jerellman New Member

State:
    CA
    First thing i do is find a nice cove, then put out different sorts of baits to see what their biting on then max out on it. (this is for bank fishing but may work for boats as well.)

11. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I fish a lake here in Indiana quite extensively that's only about 50 acres, it's a private lake and isn't highly pressured, especially for catfish, so I think I might be able to help. If there is a small cove somewhere on the lake with depth that goes up to atleast 10ft. then your in a good position. What I usually do is throw one line at the mouth of the cove in the deepest spot, then another half way down the cove where there's generally decent depth and a lot of structure. Then the final one I throw near the end of it where there's about 3ft. of depth and lots of baitfish around.

12. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I enjoy drifting the lakes. It allows you to cover more area and helps you find where thay are. Even if you're bank bound you can drift a float out there.