Channel Catfish - Is 2/0 Baitholder a Good hook To Use?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by kyron4, Jul 2, 2006.

1. kyron4

kyron4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    The channels I mainly catch are in the 2-12 lbs. range. I use a 2/0 Eagle Claw baitholder hook and it works well. What if I hook into a 15-20 lbs. cat ? Will this hook still work ? If I go any bigger will I miss alot of the 2-5 lbs cats? -Thanks

2. Crash

Crash New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I wouldn't worry too much about it. I use the same hook as you and I land 25-30lb stripers on them all the time. I use the exact same hook for channels too. As long as you can get the hook through the bait you will be okay.:roll_eyes:

3. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    If it works for you keep using it, but that on the small side for me. I never use anyhting smaller than a 4/0. I've caught fish at just about 1lb on a 7/0. I have no idea how they get the hook with a big chunk of bait inn in their mouths but they do.

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Nope, should handle most things that swim. Where you get into trouble with small hooks and large fish is in the line tension. You tighten that drag too much and it will straighten the hook nothing flat. But, unless your catching boxcars, it should work. Another small negative on a 2/0 hook is that the point may not be able to penetrate a cats jaw. If you don't get it into a soft spot, like the corner of the mouth, you will not get the barb to penetrate and it will most likely get off. But then, you can tell everybody about the state/world record fish you lost...lol

5. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i use4/0 without any problem

6. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    I find that 2/0 works almost ideally for channel cats, and I have also caught ones into the teens on the same size. If you go after anything much bigger though, while the 2/0 will work, I suggest going up to 4/0, maybe even to an 8/0 depending on how big you are going for (4/0 for small to ~25lb, and 8/0 for the big ones). Hope this helps :big_smile:

7. illnoize

illnoize New Member

State:
    illinois
    Ive always used 1/0 for channels up to 15 lbs and havent had a problem.

8. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Should handle any channel cats you catach, I have caught 20-lb fish on size 2, not 2/0 hooks.

9. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I like the 2/0 and 4/0 for med size Channels. I've had smaller hooks staighten out on bigger fish.

10. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    I've always held the notion that the hook size is in relatoinship to the bait, which is in relaitonship to the size of catfish you're after. So if your using crawlers or small cut bait, going down to a size 2 or 4 will be OK for catching cats. I routinely catch 5 to 10 lb channels on #4 baitholders in the spring. Now if you move up to skipjack heads and such, then of course use a larger hook like a 7/0 kahle.

11. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I use size 2 more then any other hook and rarely go bigger then 2/0, unless I am after sturgeon!