Channel catfish in the winter?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by bigtimingcats69, Mar 27, 2006.

1. bigtimingcats69

bigtimingcats69 New Member

State:
    Stuart, Virginia
    I was just wondering if anybody had caught any channels this winter. I dont know about catching channels or blues but i can catch the heck out of flatheads. Thanx guys!!

2. Jroc777

Jroc777 Member

State:
    Evansville, IN
    For me the winter is one of the best times to catch large blues and channels. The fish tend to school up and you can get on a bunch of them in a hurry if you are in the right location. Try fishing deep holes and always fish under big schools of bait fish. The cats will sit underneath the bait fish and feed.

3. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Nope! I have not caught any winter channels yet!

4. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I had my best day ever last Friday night the 24th, of course that was technically spring but it was 31 degrees that night!!! The Sunday before that I had an awesome day with 19 cats and several over the five pound mark.

My biggest blue so far, the one in the avatar, was caught at the beginning of February, so I have no problem with winter catting in the Carolinas.

5. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Channel cats are what I catch most in the winter and summer!, but I regularly target this tastey species

wheelmobile07

6. rednecksportsman511

rednecksportsman511 New Member

State:
    Birmingham, AL
    i caught 7 or 8 cats this winter. two of them i caught on dip bait were really small, 1lbers. but the rest were no smaller than 6-7lbs. one real biggun that was around 15 lbs.

ive had the most success in the winter with hotdogs, theyve caught the biggest ones fer me.