Channel catfish In The Rain ????

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by IfishFORcatfish, Nov 2, 2006.

1. IfishFORcatfish

IfishFORcatfish New Member

State:
    california
    Is It Good When You Fish For Channels In The Rain ????

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    They have always been kind to me. Won't start out in the rain but if it starts while I'm out I just keep on keepin on.

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I am like BG. I won't go fishing in the rain but will fish through it are untill the lighting starts.

4. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    yes iv done good in the rain , after a rain , before a rain . the fish seem to get excited when it rains , fresh water and extra oxygen .

5. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Gotta love the rain. My best catfishing ever was during a rain...caught 9 within about 45 minutes. Had two on at the same time and had to finish reeling one in before I could get to the other pole.

6. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Rain or no rain its all good brother, usually best after a good hard rain. Cats normally feed more when the water has been stirred up by the rain, but thats just my observations.

7. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I call it "the gorge".. When the rain forces an abundance of food into the water column.

8. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    I would simply say yes. Some of my best trips have been in the rain.

9. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    Ive always done well in the rain also, although I'm not a huge fan of getting wet, so I think decent rain gear is essential for this strategy. :cool2:

10. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    You have to have the appropriate rain gear. I have the water proof jacket and bibbs. Keeps you warm and dry.

As a matter of fact, the 42 pounder in my profile pic was caught last month in the rain at night. It was pouring down on and off.

11. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have caught lots of fish in the rain in the spring and summer. Mainly right before and right after. I love it when it rains upstream, and the water comes up and gets all murky. Not much into sitting in the rain, but when the fish are biting, it's hard to complain.

12. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I have caught a lot of fish in the rain got where I don`t like to get wet

13. jayjordan

jayjordan New Member

State:
    texas
    they bite pretty good but not as often usually for me they bite right after it finishes raining

14. CatHound

CatHound New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I agree with Bluehunter ! Some really great fishing happens before, during and immediately after a good rain shower. Heck, I don't even mind starting out in the rain. Fishing is fishing.

I also agree that nothing makes the outing better than good rain gear and a ball cap to keep the rain off my face a little better. Sometimes, if the weather is really cold, I'll wear my neoprene bib waders for the water proofing and insulation factor.

15. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Ya its good fishing in the rain, but u have to be ready for rain fishing.

16. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    every time man every time its the BEST to go out during the rain. i increase my catch by over 50 % sometimes when i go out to compared a sunny summer day!

17. silver_dollar

silver_dollar New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I am a firm believer in catching fish before, during and after a big rain.

We were headed for some bank fishing on Lake Texoma near the Texas/Oklahoma border. A summer rainstorm hit before we could wet a line, raining so hard we had to pull off and wait for a slack period. After about 30 minutes we continued and set up at a fav spot where we have always had good fishing.

The water was roiled and muddy for 25 yards out and then a visible line where deeper clear water began. We chunked white shrimp just beyond the roiled mud water and it was instant hookup!

First was a couple of blues over 10 pounds and it was still raining. We secured the blues and rebaited and got clobbered by stripers! In the next hour we caught over 50 fish, heaving them back on the bank. Many got back in the water but that was not our concern.

We got broken off by some BIG fish twice and had to re-rig. My fishing buddy lost most of his line to a big run when he tried to stop the fish with his 12 pound line.

Our catch consisted of channels, blues, sandbass, stripers, drum and carp. We were so shocked at the activity that we hardly talked to each other at all, just pulling them in, rebaiting, kicking 3 and 4 pounders back up on the sloping shore as they swam in the rivulets of rainwater toward the freedom of the lake.

I am sure we lost 25 or 30 fish that got back to the lake. We followed the action of the big stripers as they moved down the shoreline. At one time I was running back to bring our shrimp bucket closer and noticed the fish flopping for 30 yards along where we had been.

I have not had this kind of luck since, but I have done very well in the rain.

Harland

18. dogcat

dogcat New Member

State:
    Dayton Area Ohio
    Having fished for over 37 years, I will fish in the rain if it rains, go out to fish in the rain and find the fishing to be excellent. Just dress for it if you know it might and you can always make a cheap ponco out of a garbage bag if not prepared. I prefer to not fish in the rain, of course, but will as my time for fishing is limited by work these days. How abou bthe rally cold weather anyone?

19. Phatdaddy

Phatdaddy New Member

State:
    ohio
    Every dark cloud has a silver lining. When its raining you most always get the best spot on the bank. Also if the creeks are too high to catch bait you can sometimes get to the baitshop and they'll give you their almost dead and freshly dead bait and use it for cut-bait, because nobody else is stopping by. Although convinceing the little woman that you and your buddy REALLY ARE going fishing in the rain, can prove to be another challenge.

20. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I've Had Pretty Good Luck While Fishing In The Rain, I Don't Like Fishing In The Rain But The Fish Seem To Be More Active During This Time.