Channel Catfish in the Clinch River

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE RIVERS TALK' started by festus, Oct 21, 2009.

1. festus

festus New Member

To anyone interested, earlier in the week the channels were hitting below Melton Hill Dam. I didn't go, but a friend caught 8 channels from 1 pound to 4 pounds down there in about 45 minutes from the bank on stink bait. And he said they would hit almost instantly, just 15 or so seconds after his bait hit the water.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  2. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    great :roll_eyes:

3. festus

festus New Member

I got a free day finally for once for catfishing when the weather was cooperating. We used pieces of bluegill fillets, Hawg Wild stink bait, and nightcrawlers. Between the two of us, we caught 9 or 10 channels, nothing to brag about, but I took home 4 or 5 eaters between 1-1/2 pounds to 5-1/2 pounds. My biggest one was close to 6-1/2 pounds, I released it,. They are filleted and in the freezer already. Also got a few little fiddlers. We also tried swimbaits, big jigs, Redfins, Bombers, and Chuggers for stripers, but didn't have any luck.

We were the only people fishing for catfish, but we saw a few more folks fishing for stripers and saugers with no luck. We might go back tomorrow, these beautiful days aren't going to be around much longer. There were plenty of small shad between 1-1/2" to 2-1/2" long running the banks, but I didn't see anything chasing them. Just getting out there on a cool autumn day was worth every minute of it.

4. TennesseeJugger

TennesseeJugger New Member

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
  5. festus

festus New Member

I went bluegill fishing today in the same pond and caught a few nice ones up to 9" long. I saved 3 smaller ones and cut them for bait and headed back to Melton Hill Dam. I got a few small channels between 10" and about a pound and a half, not much going on with cut bait because someone was at my favorite spot. After about an hour of catching the fiddlers, the other fishermen left. On the way over there I found a 4" or 5" crawdad trapped in drainage ditch. I threw it out in front of an abutment on a floater and got it to stay pretty stationary, after I while I finally got a 29 inch channel. It was getting time to leave, and I saw someone on the sidewalk caught a big striper about 34 pounds on a swimbait, he released it, as I did my catfish.

I will go back tomorrow and tell youins if anything interesting happens...They've been running two generators down there pretty much for two days.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  6. festus

festus New Member

I went back to Melton Hill Dam Wednesday by myself and caught a few more channels from 3 lbs. to 5 lbs. on cut bream and nightcrawlers, and released all of them. There was a striper guide with 3 clients on the opposite side and they caught about 6 stripers on live shad and a few more cats up to about 8 pounds.

Today I went back by myself for about 2 hours and got three more cats, again no more than 5 pounds for the largest. I was a little slow today, but I did manage to snag a 3" shad on a treble hook and threw it out and caught a 17" keeper sauger. Again, I realeased these few fish.

I don't have any photos of today's or yesterday's catches because I was alone, but I do have this one of a channel I caught Monday almost 6-1/2 pounds. Got it on a triangular strip of bluegill fillet.

Someone told me today about a "honey hole", it's fun to catch the 3 to 6 pound cats, but I'm ready for some hawgs. :cool2:

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  7. TnRivershark

TnRivershark New Member

State:
    M,boro Tn.
    Thanks festus for the great info and the picture:006:

8. carolinakid76

carolinakid76 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
  9. Jedicazador

Jedicazador New Member

State:
    TN
    Thanks for the info, I was thinking maybe cannells fishing might be over for the year. My son and I have been killing crappie and bass in the Obey river right below the dam. I'm learning though so thanks for the info.
    Mike

10. festus

festus New Member

I went back to MH Dam yesterday (Friday) morning and caught 4 more small eating size channels in 3-4 hours, smallest about 16" and biggest was about 4 pounds. Everything was caught on bluegill fillet strips and chunks. There were no shad minnows to be seen, at least on my side of the river. But I missed at least 4 or 5 more fish, don't know if they just drop the bait or I'm not getting a solid hookup. I think I really had something BIG pick up a bluegill head on a circle hook out on the last abutment. I was fishing a twistertail with the rod in my hand and whatever it was jerked my other pole out of the rocks. Again, I simply could not hook it. I'm thinking my hook wasn't big enough, it was only a 5/0.

Someone on the sidewalk caught a striper about 8-10 lbs. on a plastic swimbait of some sort. There were a couple of boats came in but I didn't see anybody out there catch anything on the live shad or skipjack they were using. I'm sure the sauger fishing will pick up soon. And I'm also surprised there's no more folks out there. I avoid going there on weekends, so really have no idea what's happening then.