Channel catfish in Oklahoma lakes

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Katmandeux, Jan 30, 2007.

1. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I like 'em!

Lake Eufaula used to have a ton of them, but gradually, blues have become the dominant species.

I like blues, too, but would like to find a good lake for channels in eastern OK.

Any recommendations?

2. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    I don't have a specific lake close to you but there's lots of smaller specifically "city" lakes that carry good populations of channel cats. I don't think there's a single corps lake left in Oklahoma that doesn't have blues stocked at one time or another. Your right about blues taking over a lake...I usually catch 8 to 9 Blues for every Channel Cat. There is lots of smaller 30 to 500 acre lakes all over Oklahoma that are usually owned by a city. The new state record channel cat came for a city lake over in Muskogee. I have a 250 acre lake just outside Bartlesville with no blues and a great population of channels. I'd take a look at a good Oklahoma Atlas and find one close to you. I'm sure there's one not too far away. There's another nice benefit to smaller city lakes in that most are rod and reel only and lots of times catfish don't recieve too much pressure and there some very big one's to be had including big flatheads also. I've seen 20 lb plus channels and 60 pound plus flatheads come out my city lake and here reports for lots of other city lakes also. There's a small city lake in Claremore and somebody took a 140 pound flathead out of there when that lake was first impounded. Dog creek runs into that lake and into the Verdigris river. There's city lakes all over with healthy populations of channels and flatheads and I believe almost all of the carry potential state records since there's a lack of setlines and general fishing pressure.

3. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I've caught more channel catfish on Ft. Gibson lake than anything else. I prefer the blues though, they taste better to me.

4. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Canton lake is loaded with big channels, but Oklahoma City will have almost drained the lake by the end of March. If there is no more rain by the end of March then Canton will be a puddle. There will be no sand bass spawn, walleye spawn, Walleye Rodeo or tourism, period. Most people are not aware of what is happening to the lake. We could have a fish kill on the lake like we had at Great Salt Plains last year where we had an approx 97% fish kill. That would leave only Foss in Western Okla. How sad.

catman george

5. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    You're right, I had no idea the drought was that bad out there.

Canton is a great lake...it is sad.:sad2:

6. Larry Collier

Larry Collier New Member

State:
    Wagoner, Oklahoma
    I agree with Vince that Gibson has a good population of channels. Actually if you aren't fishing live bait you can be assured the channels caught will outnumber other species.

7. okiecop

okiecop New Member

State:
    Grove, OK
    Dave you may want to try up here on grand lake we have tons of channels up here. the jug fishermen tend to keep the blues at a managable level. the usual channel baits are the way to go. cut shad, dip bait, dough bait and livers. been fishing the lake for 14 yrs that i have lived here and have only caught 1 blue on rod and reel. hope this helps you out.

8. Bill D Curtis

Bill D Curtis New Member

State:
    Blackwell Oklahoma
    Come on up to Blackwell and fish the Chiakaski its got loads of channels in it from one to five pounds and if you don't like the river I can take you to a feeder creek called Bitter creek that runs from here to Kansas thats full of good eaters:cool2:

9. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I didn't fish it but if I remember correctly the tournament on Hugo last year produced a lot of channels.

10. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
    Chris is right Claremore lake has alot of channels,but I catch as many blues as channels and I fish it more often than anyother water.Closer to you is Okmulgee lake, I've caught a mess of channels everytime I've fished there using chicken livers.It pretty accessible for bank fishing,or boating. That should be over an hour closer to you than Claremore lake.

11. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Thanks for all of the input...I'm getting pumped for this spring!

Has anyone ever fished Dripping Springs, just above Okmulgee Lake?