Channel Catfish ID question?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by arkrivercatman, Jul 2, 2008.

1. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
  2. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    well i posted on the wrong thread, but the squared anal fin would make it a blue cat. as much as blues move around you can bet they'll end up throughout the river system, as long as there is abundant forage. good catch!

3. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    This picture shows his fin with more of a curve. I am perplexed.:tounge_out: The only other blue I have caught in Wichita was definately a blue. The kind of blue I am used to catchin in OK.

Attached Files:

4. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Naw thats a channel cat there,you can tell by just looking at the anal fin.

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
  6. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    That's two different fish you've got in those pics.... the first one is a blue and the second is a channel.

7. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    It is the same fish I swear. I have a video of him. The pic of him layin on the ground is the only one that I think looks close to the blues I have caught. I wouldnt try to trick anyone. I can usually tell the difference but this one gave me a hard time.

8. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    The first pic shows the fin without any way of the fin being contourted that is a Blue, the other pic if you will notice your fingers are at the top of the fin I believe the postion of your fingers are depressing the fin which doesn't let the fin fully extend thus giving a round aperence.
    My opion is that it is a Blue during spawn.
    Loop

9. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I was talking about the second set of pics. The attachments that you posted was two different fish you can tell by the hands on the fish and by the two fishes heads. The first attachment is a blue. The tail is drooping downward and contorting the anal fin to make it look more rounded but you can tell by the head and the larger rubbery lips.

The second fish is a channel cat. The anal fin is rounded and the head small with thinner lips.

10. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    I grew up fishin below Kaw Dam and on the lake. I have caught my share of Mississippi White bluecats. They have WHITE bellies. Do their bellies change color during spawn? His belly was far from white. If it was a blue then it came from Kaw. The pic of the small blue is what I am used to seeing. I know that blues have made it up this far but that one didnt look like your normal OK blue. Thanks for the responses.