Channel catfish ice fishing experiment a success!

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by dinkbuster1, Feb 10, 2007.

1. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    just got in from CJ brown reservoir here in Ohio, targeted Channels for the first time through the ice. a friend and i succeeded in catching 9 channels, most were dinks but two went about 2 and 3 pounds. this lake is notorious for being full of runts and they really kept us on our toes tripping the Tip-ups. i imagine we had about 25 "takes" as well as 3 missed fish on our poles. after searcing with the sonar for about an hour we found them right where i thought they would be, in the main channel in 15-20 ft of water not far from where they gorge themselves in the shallows right after ice-out. air temps were in the teens all day and about 5pm it really started gettin cold (15 degrees and falling!)and it became too much work keeping our holes cleared out. bait used was "nickle size" cut shad fished about 1-2ft from the bottom. will be back next weekend during the New Moon period, should get into the bigger fish then:smile2: heres a slideshow of photos from today..... http://s114.photobucket.com/albums/n277/dinkbuster1/?action=view&current=1171153253.pbw

2. Cattledogz

Cattledogz New Member

State:
    NC
    Looks like you had fun and that is what counts the most!

Thanks for sharing. It was neat watching the slide show that way.

I do still miss ice fishing but don't miss the mid-winter, Michigan cold. :smile2:

3. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    nice catfish! I have been ice fishing in up wisconsin in past.. I really love go ice fishing all time.. But never catch catfish on ice fishing but we were ice fishing for walleye, pike, panfish, and bass. Thank for sharing!

4. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    "That was cool Mike"! :eek:oooh:

"Thanks for sharing that with us".
    :0a31:

Take it easy,
    Bert:cool2: & Shania:0010:

:worship: :0a23:
    Bert & Phil

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Very nice fish, Mike.

6. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    G-g-g-good j-j-j-job, M-m-m-mike...:crazy:

Ol' Man
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The only way to have a friend is to be one.

7. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Way to go Dink!
    Nice slide show. A little tip. If you pack the fish in a 5 gal bucket of snow they wont freeze solid and it makes for a little easier cleaning. Snow insulates them like packing in crushed ice.
    Good luck next week.
    thanks
    Larry

8. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    That's pretty neat. Was that a turtle in the last slide? :lol: :lol:

9. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    just now got those buggers thawed out and cleaned. i checked out their stomachs to see if it was true what some say that they feed mostly on larva and worms that emerge from the mud during ice-over. well, they were full of little shad. they also bit and ran more aggressively than i thought they would, had those tip-ups spinnin like a top!

10. Nightprowler

Nightprowler New Member

State:
    ohio
    Dude that looked cold.Congrats on the fish!!

11. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    dude, whats up with the new look on your avatar! you look like your on your way to rob a Ba.....BAIT STORE!:eek:oooh:

12. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    Man that looked like a blast!! glad to see you caught some. thanks for sharing.

13. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Good job. Thanks for the slide show. You are tougher than me. I hate the cold. Got invited to go icefishing for trout in the morning. I said H*&^ NO!!

14. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Nice work Dink. That looks like a lotta fun, but it looks prettty ccccooldd tooo.... I've been ice fishing once in connecticut. We had a ball. It was pretty cold, but we kept warm with an enormous fire on a point that came out onto the lake near where all our tip ups were set.

Catfish through the ice, you guys are dedicated!

15. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    sounds like you had fun. congrats on your successful experiment.

16. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Congrats Mike! Looks like your time on the ice was worth it!

17. dogcat

dogcat New Member

State:
    Dayton Area Ohio
    Great seeing some results from around here...might just have to give it a try.

18. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Nice catch Dink! LOL I never used a tip-up but but inherited a couple. Wish we had ice like that this year. I'd be out for sure! Looks sorta frigid out there!

19. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    That was a pretty cool slide-show. And it looks like ya had a ball, despite the cold. And there ain't nothin' wrong with two-three pounders...they're about perfect fillet size.:cool2:

20. Nightprowler

Nightprowler New Member

State:
    ohio
    Dude LOL:lol: .Thats gonna be our new look so no one recognizes us when we go to our secret spot.