channel catfish full of eggs

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by 4bratsdad, Sep 25, 2009.

1. 4bratsdad

4bratsdad Member

State:
    illinois springfield area
    caught2 lastnight, eaters bout 3 lbs, both full of eggs, thought it was way 2 late for that, thought they woulda dropped em by june.

2. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    That is late..:eek:oooh: Well it doesnt quite suprise me in this rapid change climate.:sad2:

3. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    probably caught a second spawn.

4. Sound

Sound New Member

State:
    Arkadelphi
    I got a 9 lb channel two weeks ago full of eggs also.

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Not uncommon to catch a few like this in the fall. I don't know if it is a second spawn or if they just missed the first one and now that water conditions are beginning to change to spring like conditions, it has triggered something in them. I have also wondered if the males also respond and fertilize the eggs once they are laid. Very interesting stuff.

6. NHARINTON88

NHARINTON88 New Member

State:
    West Olive, MI
    Just pulled one up tonight that had two sacks full of eggs.

my guess would be that because it got real cold for a few weeks and then warmed up, it put some fish in spawn mode...... but that's michigan weather for ya!

7. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    Maybe,maybe not! Channel cats spawn in the spring when water temps reach 75 degrees,those eggs do not just appear out of nowhere,the female channel cat will start producing the next egg sack in the fall and will fill them over the winter,fall eggs will be pretty small compared to what they will look like at spawning time, so there is a chance that they are from a messed up weather pattern creating a "fall spawn" but more likely they are starting on next years egg supply,at spawn in the spring a female cat will hold about 3000 to 4000 eggs for every pound of the females body weight,the most viable (best producing,or hatching) eggs come from healthy cats in the 6 to 10 lb range. The male channel cat makes the nest to attract the female where she deposits the eggs and leaves then the male fertilizes them,the nest and eggs are protected by the male cat until they hatch and the fry swim freely, then they are on their own. Wild channel cat females reach viable spawning age at about five years old,give or take a little depending on the waters the fish live in.

Just thought you all might like this info,could go either way on the spawn sacks now without seeing them myself. I always did like to study my opponents,gives you an edge!

8. slikwiska

slikwiska New Member

State:
    northern IN
    Quite true!! Most fish species begin to form eggs in the late fall and winter. I do most of my "meat" fishing through the ice and the panfish I catch, Gills, Crappie, Perch, as well as the Pike are all starting on egg sacs. Bluegill eggs are delicious when they are small like that! Just bread and deep fry with the fillets....Good eatin'