Channel Catfish From Shore

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by MattyGfishing, Feb 14, 2009.

1. MattyGfishing

MattyGfishing New Member

State:
    Hawaii
    What is the best RIG to get my bait far out from shore.

2. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Good Question.
    I like the Carolina rig (slip sinker) but have been noticing with a heavy weight that the line slips while in mid air which tells me that I could be throwing it further.
    I wonder how the surf fishermen, who I believe get lots of distance, do it?

have a good one
    just

3. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    sinker on the bottom with snelled hooks maybe

4. Angler Ace

Angler Ace New Member

State:
    Pleasant Hill,
    I don't think it is necessary to get your rig a-way the heck out there. Where I fish most channel cats are caught closer to shore than most guys think.

5. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    same like flatheads near cover current breaks slack pools train tressel pylons

6. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Thats true guys and I usually fish near by but sometimes I want to get it waayyyy out there.
    have a good one
    just

7. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    use a heavier sinker and give it hell:wink:

8. centexcop

centexcop New Member

State:
    Texas
    You could do like some of the surf guys and Kayak it out.....:eek:oooh:

9. nut

nut New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    most of your surf rods are 10-14 feet long with a long back grip for leverage.as far as your sinker slipping tie in a bead and a swivel below your sinker. that should stop it traveling.

10. Relocated-Yankee

Relocated-Yankee New Member

State:
    Goldsboro
    There are several casts used by surffishers (me included) that can help improve your distance. The Hatteras cast is probably the easiest to master.

Basically with your rod straight up let your bait hand down 1/2 to 2/3 of your rod length, with both arms extended swing the bait behind you, rotating your body, until the bait is straight in line with the rod (it may take more than one swing until you getthe hang of it!), then swing around to the side going for a 45 degree upward angle, as the rod comes parallel to your body push forward with the hand on the reel while pulling back on the hand on the butt of the rod. Let'er rip when the rod tip is pointing at the target, hold it there until splashdown!

You can probably find better directions with photo's by doing a web search for "Hatteras Cast".

11. Angler Ace

Angler Ace New Member

State:
    Pleasant Hill,
    If you REALLY, REALLY, want Distance don't cast, do this trick:Take some BALLOONS with you, if the tide or wind is going away from you blow up a balloon, tie it off, slip the end through your swivel don't cast, but instead just set the balloon with the rig attached into the water, let it drift as far out as you want. When you are as far out as you want to be, give your line a sharp jerk, and the balloon will drift away, but your rig will fall to the bottow, and wait for your next fish to come along and take the offering.
    This way you rig will be out beyond any casting distance.

12. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    That's some good info. Seen them toss it. Looks hard to master

13. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    Mathew when you say rig do you mean terminal tackle or rod and reel? if you mean terminal tackle there are several rigs to increase your casting distance the onr thing they'll all have in common if they'll be "clipped down" and there are lots of baitclips on the market or you can make your own out of paper clips. different sinkers cast better than others so here's a picture of my progression. now if you're talking about rod and reel what are you using now? look at that first are you using braid? if not look into that. then comes casting technique you have to look at all the different styles and see which one fits your style. lets start with you rig here's a picture of a pulley rig and the sinkers i use. hope this helps.

Attached Files:

14. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken

Heck I didn't know they even had a name for that LOL..I've been throwing my rods like that for yrs:cool2:. I thought everybody done it. Belive me It works.:wink:

15. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    I just put on a heavier sinker and whipped it out there:wink:

16. Tangler

Tangler New Member

State:
    Sugarcreek, Ohi
    More Lead, grip it and rip it!!!:smile2::smile2:

17. shortbed454

shortbed454 New Member

State:
    az
    when i got to my fishing hole i, i allways catch them no more then 10 feet from the shore. i used to think that i had to launch the bait, but it really isnt the case. especialy if you are fishing at night. they come in close to the shore to feed at night. just my 2cents

18. shortbed454

shortbed454 New Member

State:
    az

19. BIGCATFISH64

BIGCATFISH64 New Member

State:
    Muncie,Indiana
    I agree, most of the larger channels I've caught have been from 5-20YDS from shore. I've just added some pictures to my album on my profile page, some of the channels caught just in this fashion. Please feel free to visit and take a look.:eek:oooh: Good luck and good fishin'

20. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    if you are going to cast for distance , mainly targeting channel cats . I would say set up a 7ft. pole with a smooth casting reel and light line (15 to 20 pounds ) with a 2 to 3 ounce weight . I would set it up as a carolins rig . If you cant get distance with that then I would go with the balloon trick mentioned .

It would also help to learn the lake or river area you are fishing . Like where the drop offs are or some stumps or under water logs . Maybe there is a current . Also if you fish the area on a regular basis maybe you could throw in a few christmas trees or barrels . After time those cats will be right in the barrels or around the trees and you can cast in the area you put them .

I have a spot where I put christmas trees and a few barrels and its a prime cat hole now . You could also throw dry dog food in the area you fish regular and sometimes the cats will get used to this and come back to that spot to check for an easy meal .

As mentioned before if you are fishing at night ,. you can catch alot of channels close to bank . If you fish at night get a light up bobber and some stinkbait and throw it out about 10 foot , Its awesome to watch the bobber go skiing off when the cats grab it .