Channel catfish for bait

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by catfishing is fun, Feb 3, 2007.

1. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    would small channels fished the sam as bullheads work to catch flatheads

2. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    probably, never thought about using channels for bait. try it out and let us kno. id make sure theres plenty of channels around the area you plan to get them from before you use them for bait.

3. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Check with your fish and game department. In Texas, its illegal to use channel cats for bait, as are other game fish. Bullheads aren't a game fish here, neither are gills, so they are O.k.

4. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    There is an old timer that runs setlines on the river and swears by small channels for bait.

5. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    i don't know, I never thought about use small channel for bait. I prefer to use gills for flathead.

6. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    The most important thing to consider is the law. Whether channels make good bait or not, if it's illegal to use them, don't do it. Here in NC you can't use bluegills caught in a net. You must catch them with a hook. I've seen wardens checking bait for any kind of sign that it had been caught properly (holes in the lip or mouth I guess). If it is legal I'm sure a hungry flathead wouldn't pass one up.

7. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I know its not legal here to use channels nor would I. Bullheads are plentiful around here.

8. coldgold

coldgold New Member

State:
    missouri
    Unless they have changed it in the last year, it is illegal to use channels as bait in Missouri

9. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Marshall here in Missouri Channel Cats are considered a game fish and use as bait is illegal.

10. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I hear that small channels, make good bait.

11. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    They are legal to use for bait here in Louisiana. I've tried them several times when other bait was hard to come by. I've never caught a thing on them. I know a couple others that have tried them with the same results as me.

12. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i have tried them here in s.c. with no luck but have saw flatties caught with them.

13. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    i have caught a few nice flatheads using channel cats........trim thier dorsal and pectoral spines for better mouth feel and hook em through the tail just like a bullhead, they will stay alive for hours. I believe flatheads are opportunity feeders, if they come across a fish that is floundering in the water then they will hit it........