channel catfish for bait

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by carolinakid76, Dec 17, 2009.

1. carolinakid76

carolinakid76 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I know bullheads are good flathead bait but, I was just wondering if any of ya'll have ever used small channels for flatheads before?

2. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Yepper small channels work for bait too. Bluegills is my favorite for flats most of the time. Any thing that swims 12" or shorter if legal is good flathead bait. I prefer catching bait right out of the body of water I'm fishing if possible.

3. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    We can't catch them here small enough to use as bait!

4. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    tan the bigger the bait the bigger the fish a 120 lbs blue ate a 9lbs carp and a 5lds bass at bass pro in concord nc in one week there got to be fish that small there they dont come out of the egg weighting 20lbs

5. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Jason,

Believe me bro, there are no channel cats under 2lbs in the non-tidal Schuylkill. If there are, I haven't caught one in nearly 12 years!:crazy:

The invasion of the flatheads in the mid 90s have wiped out the bullhead and juvenile channel cat in that section of the river.:embarassed:

6. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Tan, I wish I could find the pictures of the Polaroid flatheads we used to catch, and you could have been with me in the younger days. Some of the crazy stuff I saw after bringing them home, keeping them in the bait tank all night for morning pictures. These fish, im sure purely under stress, would puke up everything they had ate for days. As bad as I know now it was to harbor them trophys for a picture. I learned alot along the way in terms of area, time of year, and what they were eating, especially in pre-spawn spring! Gave me a ton of knowledge on where to look for them at night! rollo

Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
  7. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I know a spot where I can In Blue Marsh Lake:wink:

8. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    thats a feloney to do that:angry: i try to stick with bullheads and bluegill:wink:

9. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    You are allowed 50 channel cats per day or bluegill in PA or any panfish as long as it not from a panfish enhancement lake:wink:not a felony in PA:wink:

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  10. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
  11. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    WELL IN ILLINOIS THEY WILL SLAM YOU FOR THE SMALLEST THING,LOL I JUST USE THE LEGAL FISH FOR BAIT, CHANNELS FOR BAIT, HEY IF ITS LEGAL GO FOR IT:wink: ITS A CLASS 4 FELONEY IN IL TO USE CHANNELS FOR BAIT:angry:

12. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    That sucks dude I never used a channel for bait only gills and legal smallies and fallfish when I caught them ,good luck to ya :wink:

13. ZachDinicola

ZachDinicola Member

State:
    Greatbend/Hays
    check your local regs i think if you catch it on a rod and reel you can use it for bait..

14. steveturner024

steveturner024 Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Steve Turner
    Wish I had that problem. I can catch a lot of smaller ones 6"-12". I have even caught a catfish that was a little bigger than the night crawler I was using for bait. I wouldn't use them for bait though. I have to have something to keep me busy when I'm bored.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010