Channel Catfish Fishing Rods

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Rajun_Cajun, Jun 3, 2006.

1. Rajun_Cajun

Rajun_Cajun New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    well i was just curious, but what do you think would be a good rod for channel cats, also if you have any suggestions on combos that would be nice. please share
    :smile:

2. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    a MH ugly stick in the 7' to 8' range. I'd pair that with an Abu reel. As far as combos go I have an ugly stick spinning combo that isn't as heavy duty as my baitcasting set up, but it still will haul in decent sized channels. That will set you back about $40.

3. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    I just bought one of those white Shakespeare Catfish rods at Walmart. It seems to have a sensitive tip for the light biters and enough backbone to get the big ones in. Not much heavier than a bass rod. About $27.00 I think it would work well for anything from small to large.

4. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    the zebco 808 rod and reel combo at wally world...$25

5. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    Well for me I use a 6 1/2 foot spinning rod with reel meduim with a fast tip since cats aint that big around here. If I use a bait caster I use a 6000 series ABU on a 7 foot medium rod with a fast tip the rod is also a ABU dont remember the model of the rod off hand. for me these two combos work fine.

6. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    For channels i have a uglystick combo from wlly world with a sheakspear baitcaster . Good for eater channels but wouldn't trust it on big blues or flats. Also I would not recommend the Berkley glowsticks until they move the light up to the rod tip.

7. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    I believe a Quantum Torsion rod, medium heavy, from Wal Mart is a great rod for channel cats anywhere up to about 20 pounds. Great little rod, and it only costs 20 dollars. Its the one that I have, Cajun.

8. kurt

kurt New Member

State:
    ohio
    I have a 6 ft mh ugly stick (the original) and have a cheap quanutm snapshot with 50 power pro line and it brings in the 15 lbers easy. I think it is funner to down size your tackle a little bit on channel cats so the fight is funner. I like the 6 ft to fish with at the creek cause it is easier to carry thru the woods and cast.

9. kurt

kurt New Member

State:
    ohio
    I have a 6 ft mh ugly stick (the original) and have a cheap quanutm snapshot with 50 power pro line and it brings in the 15 lbers easy. I think it is funner to down size your tackle a little bit on channel cats so the fight is funner. I like the 6 ft to fish with at the creek cause it is easier to carry thru the woods and cast.

10. catfish_ken

catfish_ken New Member

State:
    Belton,SC
    I have a maco 7 foot rod and just bought a quantum spinner reel and today I used it for thr first time and landed three large blues.

11. catfishsteve

catfishsteve New Member

State:
    Omaha, NE
    7' or 8' Catfish Ugly Stick (casting/MH) $27.00 at Wal-mart with Abu 6500 or 7000, nice cat rig for just about any cat that swims.

I like the Berkley Reflex Spinning Rods too.
    I have some 9 footers that I L-U-V! Don't know where you can get them anymore though. Berkley has gone now to those Glowsticks. I'm not sure about them yet.

12. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have one of these combos that is 2 or 3 years old now. Works great for channels. I wouldn't use it while looking for the big blues or flats, but it will handle the occassional one.

13. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I just bought myself a couple new combos for channels. I wanted to get a spinning rig and a casting rig. After researching several different rods and reels, I decided to buy a 7' M/H Ugly Stick Catfish spinning rod and paired it with a Penn Captiva CV5000 spinning reel. I got the rod at Walmart for $27 and got the reel new on E-bay for $23. For the second rig, I went with a 7' M/H Ugly Stick Catfish casting rod and paired it with an Abu 6500CL3 casting reel. I got the rod at Bass Pro for $27 and got the reel on clearance at Walmart for $40. Both combos are spooled with 50lb. Spiderwire that I got on clearance at Walmart for $7 for a 125 yd. spool. The Spiderwire is backed with 10 lb. Spiderwire mono. I'm very satisfied with both and glad I was patient and shopped around for the best deals. Both are very tough combos that should last me for several years.

14. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Cory, Ive been using the 8 ft. meat hunter rods for some years now combined with an Abu 6500 C3. The last rods I bought I went to a 1 peice pole and stayed with a medium heavy action. I found them for just under $23 apeice. I have caught from small channels to 40 lb. plus blues with this set up with no problems. 777

15. Whiskers4life

Whiskers4life New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    well lets see here....
    It all depends on where I fish...
    In the slower channels, not so much on the rough watered dams...
    I will use my 7' Catfish Ugly paired with my new Abu 6500D5...
    Then when I know the current is faster, I have a 10'6 Downrigger by Daiwa, paired with a Daiwa Millionaire 300S...which keeps it on the bottom VERY well, and yet still ultra senstive...

All my set-ups are packed with Power Pro 80lb....

Cause up here, we do have some big'ens fish, coming up from the Mississippi....

And I dont like losing my stuff....