channel catfish fishing rod suggestions needed

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by flatheadboy2002, Jan 21, 2006.

1. flatheadboy2002

flatheadboy2002 New Member

State:
    Rock river illinois
    right now i have a abu garcia 5500 with a 7foot abu super seven rod spooled with 20 pound trilene big game im in the market for another good channel cat rod any suggestion should i get another one of those or a different one i like the baitcasters for channels because i make the trip to the mississippi alot and i thank god i had the backbone power last year we only caught 4 but our stringer weighed 56lbs all channels any help would be appreciated or if anybody has a channel cat rod for sale let me know thnx

2. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hey there FB02,

I use a few firmer rods, and a few softer rods. My favorite ones are medium-medium heavy composite or graphite (IM-6 etc) rods about 7-7 1/2 foot long.

I occasionally use softer action fiberglass rods for circle hook fishing though.

If you're fishing near heavy cover, get something with enough backbone to apply some real pressure on a fish. But, I still like a softer tip section - no pool cue rods! The heavier action also makes it easier to cast hevier weights (ie live bluegill with 2-3 oz of lead)

It's all about what feels comfortable, and balanced in your hands. I like the graphite rods a bit better, but my favorite combo to fish with is my abu composite rod (med hvy) matched with Abu 5600 reel. It's perfectly matched.

Shawn

3. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    You might want to take a look at Cabela's King Kat Pro at Cabela's on-line. They have been on sale for $19.95(regulary $40). Seems they would make a great Channel Cat rod.

4. Jack Herber

Jack Herber New Member

State:
    Woodstock, GA
    I agree with the thumbs up to the King Kat Pro. Another good choice is the catfish "Ugly Stick".
    Here's my "Duh!!" story. I was doing an overnight trip and had 6 rods set up. As I seemed to have some time on my hands I started observing the lighting setup on the boat and what I might do to improve it. It seemed that some of the rods were always in shadow. Well, there it struck me!! One rod was even behind the light and it just showed up like a beacon. It was that one King Kat rod. OK, here's the "Duh!!" part. It was my only white rod. Well,DUH!!
    I have since switched to (6) eight foot catfish "Ugly Sticks" (the white ones) but I still have that King Kat.

5. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I am a fan of the Ugly Stik's you can get at Wal-mart. They are cheap at around $28, the are stiff enough, but not a muscle rod. They are also white, which really helps in low light and at night.

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The ugly stik catfish rod is a good choice for channel cats, as well as a quantum bigcat, medium, or medium heavy action.

7. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    I have to agree with Jack, If cost and a 1 piece rod is no issue...I love my Quantum Big Cat medium action rods for channels and blues.

8. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    last year, when I picked up a med heavy spinning rod for live bait fishing I looked at the Ugly stick catfish rods (the heavier one) and the Cabela's classic. I went with the 100% graphite Cabela's rod (a little more stout, cork handle, lightweight), but the Ugly Stick cat rod came in a close second.

They're also a nice one piece rod...maybe a better channel cat rod.

Shawn

9. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    King Kat Rods are my middle name. I've either got 5 or 6 of them. I really like them, espically for $20.00

The best $20 cat rod that I've seen. (in my personal opinon)

10. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Brayn,you are realy gonna like those kingkat rods when one breaks on you this year, or better yet an eye insert comes out while fighting a fish and your line breaks.

11. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I agree, the ugly cat rods are excellent. And usually $30 at Wal-Mart. They are very tough. I've had some for like 4 years and the only problem I have had is the guides bending up some. Which is not really a big deal.

Zakk:)