Channel Catfish @ Clear Lake

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by KnotGillty, May 14, 2007.

1. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    Went to Clear Lake with my friend Jeff. He had never caught a catfish over 8 pounds so I was on a mission to get him on some nice fish. I'm happy to say he broke his personal best more than once on this trip. We caught some channels drifting as well as on the anchor. Kept two small fish for the table and released all the remaining big channels. Most of the fish were 3 - 6 pounds with several pigs mixed in. The 3 biggest fish we hooked never made it into the boat which is a bummer, but that's just how it goes sometimes. We still had a very fun trip and I was able to get my friend on some nice fish which was what it was all about for me this time. We kept two small fish for the table and all the rest were released to fight another day.

Here are some pictures of our adventure.

Attached Files:

2. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    Here's a couple more pics

Attached Files:

3. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Thanks for the update Randy. Some really nice cats there. How you do in the tourney?

4. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Them is some nice fish. I wish there were a lake in this part of the state that would produce fish like that. I think fishing pressure has a lot to do with it around here. So many anglers and not so many lakes. I see stringers all the time filled with 12" cats so they don't get much of a chance to grow up.

5. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    The derby is this Fri-Sat-Sun. This trip was a scouting trip to fish several new areas and spots that I've never tried. We did really well considering I didn't stick with my normal areas. We caught one or two fish drifting in one of my regular slots, but all the rest of the fish came from new water. We brought around 20 fish to the boat. I now have several backup plans for the derby this weekend. I'll be leaving the house early Friday morning for the cat derby and coming back late Sunday. Report to follow. Wish me luck. . . .

6. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Casitas and San Vicente produce like that. Quite often too if you get on them. I have not been out there much due to other things and concentrating on flats but they do have big channels.

Nice catch BTW up at Clear. I may hold a function there in the future.

7. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    The derby was postponed till this weekend? I will wish you luck brother, but doubt you will need much luck. After fishing with you up there, I know you are "the man" up there at clear lake. Can't wait to hear your report:wink:

8. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    No, the derby didn't get postponed. It's been the 18th-20th all along.

You give me too much credit Robb. It's just a matter of knowing the general tendencies of channel cats, using the right baits, and making sure your tackle is in decent condition. The results for me are usually in the small details. As an example, my partner lost two big cats because he failed to check his leaders after catching some smaller fish. They got frayed and then gave out when he hooked bigger fish. I never overlook the small details.

Hey BlueHunter, let me know if you hold a function at Clear Lake. I would be willing to part with some knowledge. It's the best channel cat fishery on the west coast, and that's no exageration. The catches I report are nothing. I've seen pics of guys with stringers of channel cats all over 20 pounds. I just wish they'd practice catch & release more, but that's just my opinion. I'm amazed that I never see reports from Clear Lake on this site. I guess I'm the only member that ever fishes it. I wish it was closer to me.

Stay bent & tight lines . . . .

9. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Will do. I will keep you in mind. Thanks.

10. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Lake Casitas is less than a hours drive for me and I've been there a few times this past year but I just haven't gotten a handle on it yet. I need to get back there in the near future to give it another go.

11. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Hard lake, but they are there. Catmando does well there every now and then. Sometimes when you get on top of them you hear of 100 pound stringers of all double digit channels some up to 30 pounds. Thats pretty good for channels. Not too many lakes like that. San V has some big channels too. A good time to go is now while they are spawining or post spawn.

12. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    Maybe your thinking about the Striper derby over the Cinco De Mayo weekend. I may have mentioned that to you when we went fishing. We didn't do too well. Had a great time as far as BS, laughs, lies, and good food, but not so well on the big fish. A bummer deal was that some guy, at the weigh in, was killed right in front of everyone when a part of a tree fell from the heavy winds. It was super windy that day. It fell right on his head and crushed his skull. Killed him instantly. It was a very tragic ending to a long weekend. They tried in vain to revive him, but to no avail. Everything was delayed until the coroner could come out to pick up the body. Stuff like that puts everything into perspective. It wasn't such a big deal that we did poorly. I gave my wife and kids lots of love that night.

13. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    So true Randy, "life is like a vapor" We are hear one moment and in a twinkle of an eye.....wooosh, it's gone. I try to live my life as if Iwas dying. I had several health battles that was deadly and my wife as well. Hug them brother. Them lil girls grow up to be woman and I am dealing with my daughter turning 18 and going off to collaege.:sad2: Look forward to fishing with ya again brother. Oh....have a few questions about them apple IPODS. My son has one and asked me if I knew anyone that has em. Want to download movies are something like that:tounge_out:

14. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    Yeah, now that the water temps are in the low 70's, we need to get back out there robb. Conditions were a little brutal the last time we went and it made for tough fishing.

As far as the ipods, I've never downloaded movies. I only use mine for music. Have him download Itunes from the Apple website. From there he should be able to download anything.

15. big taz

big taz New Member

State:
    california
    That was a nice fishing trip. Some very nice kitties. Hope you do well in the tourney. I used to fish clear lake every year and there was never a shortage of cats ready to munch on our offerings..

16. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Hey Randy,

I just want to let you know that those are some nice cats you have there & to wish you good luck this weekend up at Clear Lake. :cross: wink:
    :0a23:

Taker it easy,
    Bert:cool2: & Shania:0010:

:worship: :0a23:
    Bert & Phil

17. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    Fished the ClearLake catfish derby over the weekend. Prizes were awarded for the biggest single fish. I think there were somewhere around 500 contestants. We lost a big one. After that we could only manage fish in the 21 to 26 inch range. Wind was a big challenge all weekend. There were 20mph gusts almost hourly and Saturday night saw gusts into the mid 30's. The top 21 fish placed in the money. The 21st place finisher landed a 18.5 pound channel cat. The 1st place finisher landed a 28.5 pound channel. 16 of the 21 top finishers all caught channel cats over 20 pounds. Had a great time and we are looking forward to the next one. . .

18. hustlur

hustlur New Member

State:
    Orange County
    You'll get them next time!!!!!