Channel catfish caught today

Discussion in 'LOCAL VIRGINIA TALK' started by rebcatman, Aug 19, 2006.

1. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    We went fishing at Bull Run Marina at about 2:00 PM today and caught one channel. The water is very low now. We plan to go a couple of times this week but during the evening. Which should provide for betting fishing.

2. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    Glad ya caught one. How big was it? And yeah, the evening's have always produced better fishin' than mid day for me. Good luck, later this week.

-Red

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Congrats on the one,hope you catch a bunch when you go back!!!

4. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Redd,

It was not that large at all, maybe one to two pounds. I have caught catfish up to ten pounds in that area, though there are much larger ones. But considering it was in the middle of the day, and the wind was blowing pretty good, it was a decent outing. One of the problems is the area is located in a park that closes at dark(sucks) otherwise I believe night fishing there would be outstanding at this point since the water is so low, it has bunched the fish up in the creek channel.

Thanks catfishjohn.

5. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    glad to see you caught one. maybe you will catch more next time.

6. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Thanks. I to hope that I can catch more next time.

7. Bob R

Bob R New Member

State:
    Woodbridge, VA
    Congrats on the fish. I havent had much luck fishing in the bull run area, however I've done quite well further down the resevoir in the Lake Ridge area closer to the dam. I know that there are big flat heads in there, I've only been able to catch the channels though. Have you had any luck with them?

8. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    No, I have not caught any flatheads in that area, but I have not tried much either. Since I do not have a boat, the only time I have success at Bull Run is when the water is low, and I can walk down stream from the Bridge.

9. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Congrats on the catch brother, always nice when you can get one.

10. bigblueone

bigblueone New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Tom went saturday night. fished from Bluestone to the goat Island best blue was 24 lbr. that was at Occoneechee 2 at the fish bouy.you should try that at night. It's open all night. Went last saturday at Ivy Hill to Eastland Creek best blue 14 lbr. Bunch of stripers there 25 to 35 ft.

11. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    bigblue,

What lake is that?

BTW, I was shut out tonight fishing Bull Run. A few bites and that was about it. Pretty strange given that I have done very well in the past with the same type of conditions(low water).

12. bigblueone

bigblueone New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Buggs Island -Kerr Lake.The fish we cought where about 40 to 50 ft from the bank.Water temp is 85 last week was 89. Won't be long before we can day fish again and not feel like were in hell burning up :lol: .There's plenty of places there to bank fish if that is your thing.thermocline has had the fish messed up lately.Sat was the first fish i've cought on the bottom in 3 weeks:cool2: thats not good.Won't do nothing but get better, watch that rod 1bigblue

13. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Blue,

Buggs Island is about a four hour drive from here. However, I have thought of a weekend camping trip there at some point.

14. mohicks

mohicks New Member

State:
    VA
    What bait are you using at bull run? In order to catch big flatheads, you will want to use live bait (sunfish or crappie). I recommend investing in a cast net and catching live bait at the park.

15. mohicks

mohicks New Member

State:
    VA
    Where did you catch that big cat in your profile?

16. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Mohicks,

I was not fishing for flatheads this past weekend, though I suppose I should have been. I need to respool my big reel before going next time.

The blue catfish in my picture was caught in the James back in 1999. It was one of six I caught on the same trip.

How about yours?

17. ivan09193

ivan09193 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Are you going to Occoquan for the flathead fishing?

It's pretty much the only place in Northern Virginia that flatheads live in.

18. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    I usually target blues and channels. One of these days I will go to target just flatheads. Also, until I get a boat, I have limited access to both the river and bullrun.

19. bigcatJoe

bigcatJoe New Member

State:
    indiana
    One fish is better than no fish.

20. noeran

noeran New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    One is better than done. Every catch is a thrill. Good luck on next trip.