channel catfish Bread Bait

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by Pendernator, Jul 16, 2009.

1. Pendernator

Pendernator New Member

State:
    SE Missouri
    in a pond in a park near where i live there are quite a few channel cats. the people in the park always feed the ducks and geese bread. iwas wondering if bread would catch the channel cats since they are probably eating what the ducks dont get.

2. Kat Head

Kat Head New Member

State:
    Erie, Pennsylvania
    Absolutely! They don't see it as bread, they see it as food and its what they're used to. Happy Catching!

3. Pendernator

Pendernator New Member

State:
    SE Missouri
    ok thank you i suspected that would be the case

4. dieselman

dieselman New Member

State:
    texas
    i could definately see how that would work, this morning we were fishing in downtown bastrop in the river and werent getting any bites, some people came over and started feeding the geese they must have thrown out at least two loaves of bread, all of a sudden there were channels and blues all over the place breaking water eating the bread, now if i could just figure out how to keep it on the hook-- doughballs maybe? what do ya'll think?

5. Pendernator

Pendernator New Member

State:
    SE Missouri
    i was thinking get some french bread with the chewy crust and try that:big_smile:

6. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Moist the bred with some water or vanilla. Put it on a treble hook:wink: Hang on to your pole:wink:

7. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Hey Robb, have ya tried it at the Sleugh?

Jaime

8. Pendernator

Pendernator New Member

State:
    SE Missouri
    i never thought about vanilla

9. xnmcclurex

xnmcclurex New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh Pa
    be careful, i saw a kid catch a goose doing that...kind of amusing watching the goose trying to fly away and a little kid trying to reel him in:wink:

10. liplifter

liplifter New Member

State:
    indiana
    How about a spong that looks like bread,would be fun on a fly rod

11. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    Bread is quite a good carrier of scent . I would think that a fish oil would work good too (like sardines or tuna). Maybe even WD-40. Just a thought.

Ray

12. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Bull heads and bass attack bread balls at our park..havent seen any channels down there but im sure they are just chillin keepin it real

13. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    If it's fresh moist white bread you don't even have to moisten it, just squeeze it around/on your hook and toss it out there. The kids have caught bookoo channels from my pond just like that.

14. monsterstalker

monsterstalker New Member

State:
    NC
    I often fish with bread. I've caught one channel cat on bread, it also works well for sunfish, smallmouth bass, trout, suckers etc. If you're somewhere where the bluegills won't just keep biting, it may be a good bait for catfish. I just use white bread, it needs to be fresh or it won't stay on the hook well. Pinch off some and roll it around a hook. It still doesn't stay on very well and you have to be carefull on casting.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
  15. Will Fish4Food

Will Fish4Food New Member

State:
    AZ
    Sliced bread works best for me. Tear off a chunk and wrap it around your hook. Then compress it as much as you can with your fingers. To make the dough ball harder give it a quick dunk in water and wait a little bit before using. This seems to create a harder ball - but don't soak it, just a quick dunk or it will get soggy. If you really want to kill em, make a dip by saving the juice from a can of corn. Add 1 tbsp of garlic salt and a splash of soy sauce. Dunk you bread ball in there to give it some flavor. Be warned, big carp also love the corn/garlic/soy dip.

16. ~Austin~

~Austin~ New Member

State:
    Texas
    My dad and I went fly fishing for trout when I was a kid on the Little Mosouri river in Arkansas. We waded around casting for three days (not catching much) before we stumbled upon a dock, where some old folks were feeding the trout bread. They were boiling at the surface eating this bread. I came back later that day with a zebco and a bag of Mrs. Bairds. I cought trout 'til my arms were sore.

17. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    Match the hatch! :wink:

Ray

18. rustystinkbaitrules

rustystinkbaitrules New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    i use bread for bream and i just pinch a small piece on the hook and and squeeze around it till its on good.