Channel catfish bite during spawn or is it slow??

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by Montgomery, Jun 13, 2007.

1. Montgomery

Montgomery New Member

State:
    OHIO
    i'm in dayton ohio. and was wondering how the bite is during the spawn . and shouldn't they be in spawn now . and do i maybe try a little different spots at this time . figured the fish might move or lay some were else when in the spawn ?? just thought i would ask. when do flays spawn? later in the year ??

2. bobby-catfishing

bobby-catfishing New Member

State:
    Highland Villag
    Mike,
    The channel cats do bite during the spawn. We've been catching spawning fish down here in Texas since April. Some of the fish we're catching now are already spawned out, but still biting the same patterns as the spawning cats. Here's an article posted a while back. Hope this helps.

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46712

3. godsglad8tor

godsglad8tor New Member

State:
    Riverside, CA
    dont know about the females, but i noticed the males watch over the eggs until they hatch and pretty much watches over the young for a month, so look around the outskirts of your lake or pond for black cloudy spots which should be youngsters, daddy should be there somewhere, and he is really hungry after waiting for those little ones to hatch

check out the shady spots also and chances are you will find a nest that will hold a few good sized fish

4. hossdaniels

hossdaniels New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I have been catching big headed males for about a month in shallow water near cover.

5. kenmany

kenmany New Member

State:
    NC
  6. wowsafari

wowsafari New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    The bite has been pretty slow for me here in Kentucky. It has been smoldering hot and dry here.

7. allena

allena New Member

State:
    WV/Preston Co.
    At least it`s not only me. I`ve been to my favorite place 3 times this year with very limited luck. I thought maybe the water temps were to blame. Reaching into 70`s during the day and air temps into the 50`s at night. Fished day and night and not much happening. Maybe extended spawn?

8. yogib

yogib New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I caught a channel last weekend on a crankbait during a bass tournament in 2 ft of water.