Channel Catfish Bellies

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by janzaldo, Nov 5, 2008.

1. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Hi Folkes, las Saturday I was cleaning a channel catfish and was just wondering if channel catfish bellies are any good.

Jaime

2. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Jamie I eat them.
    pete

3. Wvawitrado

Wvawitrado New Member

State:
    California, Fresno
    How do you prepare? I am willing to try for sure

4. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    When you see catfish chunks in the store, thats belly meat. If you soak them in buttermilk its takes away some of the strong taste. Hope this helps.

5. ronlyn239

ronlyn239 New Member

State:
    Bartlesvil
    I've found that if you take the silver lining off the inside, it greatly improves the taste of the meat. I don't bother with the belly unless it is a larger fish. Flathead belly is especially good.

6. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    I agree with you Ron. They are so good.
    Hi Pete! I tried to give ya a rep point buddy but, th system said I had to spread some to other folkes. Pete how do you prepare channel cafish bellies?

Jaime

7. jimmy willaby

jimmy willaby New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I CATCH ENOUGH I DO NOT HAVE TO EAT THE BELLIES . HEHE:big_smile:

8. Wvawitrado

Wvawitrado New Member

State:
    California, Fresno
    GOOD THEN CATCH MINE FOR THE WINTER TOO THEN!:confused2:

9. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma

Thats nice,But I dont waste a scrap of edible meat from any fish or game I take,Just the way I was raised I guess.

10. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Me either Richard! That said, I don't like belly meat from channels or blues near as much as flathead. The texture is a little bit tougher. Tastes fine if you remove the silver lining...that is very important. I eat it.

11. jimmy willaby

jimmy willaby New Member

State:
    TEXAS

YOU CAN TAKE THE HEAD AND MAKE FISH SOUP, GRIND THE BONES FOR YOU PETS , FISH WITH THE GUTS AND THEN NOTHING WILL BE WASTED.
    ( JUST KIDDING ):smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

12. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Eating the belly meat is like eating chitterlings. Why eat the crap when there are pork chops?

13. finster31

finster31 New Member

State:
    Mohnton Pa
  14. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I don't eat anything out of the waters I fish in

15. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Its ok . Prepare it like you would any other fish . People soak fish in many different things . I freeze mine in zip lock bags . Then when I unthaw it I soak it in lemon juice or buttermilk depending on which I wanna use . I really dont worry about belly meat since I dont keep large fish to take home .

16. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    If you remove the inside silver skin from the channel's belly slab, it makes for some good eatin, though not as good as belly slabs from a flathead.

17. papabear108

papabear108 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I don't mean to be the ignorant one.......but.........are ya'll talking about the stomach of the cat? I have never heard of eating cat belly but I will certainly try it if ya'll can answer my above question. Thanks.

18. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    They are talking about the meat from the 'belly' of the catfish, not the stomach itself.

Also guys, be carefull with belly meat. It is where most of the toxins, like mercury, are stored in a fish over its life. So if you are cleaning larger fish, the belly meat can be very bad for ya. Just a word of warning to my fellow brothers!

19. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    When I fillet my catfish I end up with boneless pieces. The belly is another piece, the silver skin lining the gut tastes bad, it should be removed. My wife takes catfish and she puts some oil in a pan, and some chopped garlic, she frys the garlic, then puts some water in the pan, not more than 1/2 inch. Now she puts in the catfish. She cooks it, and this seems to melt the fat off. Now sometimes it still smells a bit like the water it came outa but it don't taste like it. Eat it over noodles or rice. Ya can add other stuff to put on it too.

20. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    The jowel and belly slab are my favorite pieces from a flathead.