Channel catfish bait

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by jerellman, May 13, 2006.

1. jerellman

jerellman New Member

State:
    CA
    what have you all been using? ive been using nightcrawlers and magic bait and havent caught much. any suggestions?

2. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    What I use for channel cat is chicken liver. I buy some chicken liver and as soon as I get home I mix in alot of garlic salt then freeze.

3. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    cut shad, cut bluegills minnows live bait like leaches worms crawdads just about anything that's alive or kinda greasy will catch em in my opinion.......and i like to stay away from any type of "magic" bait or anything not natural

4. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Cut shad and cut bluegill on the river, and in lakes magic or sonnys dip bait.

5. Ripper

Ripper New Member

State:
    Virginia
    cut gills are my best producing bait.

6. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    Me too!!! Cut gills/sunnies, cut shad, basically any kind of fish(That's legal) will work. The illegal ones would probably work too but I've never used them. I have used guts of other fish, like walleye, trout, etc. with moderate success.

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    cut shad is my best bait.

8. vacatfish

vacatfish New Member

State:
    bedford virginia
    Baits.
    1. Cut Shad.
    2. Softshell crayfish.
    3. Cut Creek chubs.
    4. Chicken liver.
    5. Stink bait, danny kings.
    6. Cut chunks of hot dogs.
    7. Cheap bacon with the strips rolled.
    8. Blood bait. cut into chunks. catfish connection sales a nice bucket off beef blood for the reason. and they are also a sponsor.

Along with many baits that you can play around with to make your own. the key to making any bait. is keeping it as close to natural as you can think on the side of what catfish feed on. i hope this helps some.

9. mobowhtr

mobowhtr Member

State:
    MO
    I'm just getting back into fishing, haven't done much in the last 12-15 yrs. As I recall we used to mix up a pound of burger with a pack of lindberger cheese, then add 40% bran flakes till it was thick enough to stay on a treble hook. It woked pretty good, I never caught anything but channels on it, but then I never used it in a river either.

10. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Cut chubs and live goldfish has been the ticket for me so far.

11. pursuing_cats

pursuing_cats New Member

State:
    Clarksville,Tennessee
    I am a firm believer in chicken liver. I also use shrimp, cut shad, creek chubs, hot dogs(soaked in garlic), and shad guts. I just recently started using turkey liver and they work great. They are larger than chicken and they are tougher so they stay on the hook when you launch them into the water. As far as dip and punch baits go, I use BeeJays and Hogwild. They seem to work well in warmer water though.