Channel catfish bait cut or live?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by tomcat85, Jan 28, 2007.

1. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    just wanted to see how everyone fished and what there preference was.

2. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I USUALLY USE CUT BAIT FOR CHANNELS.

3. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    well, here I use chicken liver and nightcrawler but someday it can use shiner as livebait. my dad caught 8 pound channel on shiner. They also use cutbait shad for winter.

4. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    If you are going to fish a small pond or lake at night, nothing beats a small live gill tossed right in the weeds or just at the outer edge. In the river you can find more fish with cut bait. The smell travels down stream and the fish follow it back up.

5. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I've caught more channels on chicken liver than any other bait, but I've caught larger ones on cut shad. Caught a few using chubs that were alive and dead.

6. Phatdaddy

Phatdaddy New Member

State:
    ohio
    i like livers for channels but cutbait would be the second

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I use either chicken liver, live shinner minnows, or nightclawers.

8. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I have caught channels on live bait, but i have caught alot more on cut

9. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    In the spring I like to use chicken livers. We catch a few stripers with them as well. I've tried cut-bait but haven't caught much. We catch flatheads when fishing with live bait (mostly bream).

10. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    I like chicken liver, shrimp, but I think the best is live bluegills. Its there
    natural food source.

11. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    small live blugills, cut shiner, and shad strips

12. tcba1987

tcba1987 New Member

State:
    Dennison, Ohio
    I like LIVE Creek Chubs the best and then id use fresh cut shad followed by chicken livers & then shrimp !!!

13. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    alright

I use cutbait for channels, and livers (i dislike livers now because of 3 hooks full falling down my back in one trip lol)

14. fisherman94580

fisherman94580 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    For channels, sometimes I use them whole, sometimes cut, I'll usually throw out a line with a whole one on, then another line with a shad head on, and whatever it seems like they're hitting better, then that's what I use.

15. Wyocatman

Wyocatman New Member

State:
    Centralia, Illinois
    Live seems to attract more flatheads whereas i've had more luck on liver and cut shad for channels. Nightcrawlers have also produced some feverish action, especially after a rain.

16. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    most always use cut bait,chubs shad and skipies. last year danny kings punch bait out fished the cut though.

17. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    I live in Illinois and the best bait I've found so far is Geno's stink bait from Carlyle, a few years ago I was told that it was a good channel cat bait by some fishers at the dam so back in 94 I decided I'd try some at Rend Lake. Within 6 days me and my dad caught aprox. 60 channels brought home around 45 of them and had so much catfish to eat that I was tired of them for a while, most were between 2 to 8 lb.

18. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    My best sucess here in Michigan, is raw shimp with the shell on, right out of the grocery store. I also use sucker bellies cut into 1" X2" stripes. You can catch 3 to 4 cats on a stripe. Sucker really stays on a hook well.
    Sparky

19. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    channels seem to like dead bait best...they will eat live bait but you will also have more of a chance to catch other types of catfish with live bait...when i say dead bait i don't mean rotten...use fresh dead bait...whole or cut herring or shad are real good baits...also FRESH large shrimp work well.

20. BigCatDreaming

BigCatDreaming New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I find it hard to go wrong with live/cut bluegill and/or live/cut Sucker Minnows. I caught my largest on a sucker minnow with the tail cut off.