Channel Catfish as food?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by Deftones2015, May 13, 2009.

1. Deftones2015

Deftones2015 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    How many people like to eat the channels they catch, and how often? Also, what is a good way to cook them up (fav. recipes) ?

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    We eat 90% of the channels we catch. Cut them up, soak them in salt water over night, roll in cornmeal and deep fry. Be sure to get the blood streak out.
    Welcome to the BOC

3. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    I agree... Fried is best. But if for some reason you don't like or can't eat fried foods, you can always grill or bake.

4. Deftones2015

Deftones2015 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I love fried lol, I've been catching quite a few smaller channels lately and figured, why not eat em lol.

What is the blood streak? I've never cleaned a cat before, I've cleaned bluegill, bass, crappie, but never catfish.

5. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I do eat channels but I prefer Blues around the 5lb mark.....fillet them and cut the red meat out.....chunk them into nugget size.....coat them in Andy's fish breading and slip into hot oil. YUM YUM!:wink:

6. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    I wouldn't eat deep fried channel cat more than twice a day.

7. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
  8. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    im with dirtdobber on this one:big_smile: yummy

9. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    generally i catch and release everything i catch....not because i dont wanna...I generally stay out fishing till i am 100% Exhausted and dont have the perseverence to clean them :angry:....Would love to tho if i felt like cleanin them lol....bet they sure are tasty tho....

10. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    The blood streak is that red line of meat down the side of the fish. It will have a muddy taste sometimes.

11. Frankie B

Frankie B Guest

I eat all the channels I get...why not ???? Unless the fish is older than me it's going home to join me 4 dinner..

12. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    I dont keep alot of channel anymore. Mainly because I target the bigger ones, and I release all over 5 lbs. , but when I do keep a few, I cut the tail off and let them bleed out in the water. Take them home and fillet them. Rinse them off real good with cold water and put them in a zip lock bag with lousiana hot sauce, milk, and lemon juice. Then when Im ready to cook , I dip them egg real good then into the Uncle Bucks hot and spicy batter from BPS, then in the grease. That is some good eatin. Especially with some Jalapeno and Cheddar hush puppies, and if Ive got some Morels to boot. Oh boy, thats one of my favorite grubbin sessions. :wink:

13. raysplay

raysplay New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    :roll_eyes:Every monday morning is my fish cleaning day:smile2: ,:wink: My wife ( puppypal ) and I go fishing all weekend and always do pretty good mostly channels and blues maybe throw in a few bream,crappie and bass all taste really good to me (fried) rolled in Louisiana seasoned fish fry:tounge_out:. problem is taking time out to cook would rather be fishing on good or bad days but freeze most of my fish and save them for when we have time for cooking and fish fried @ deer camp in winter time is great!!!:big_smile::big_smile:

14. twisted

twisted New Member

how long do you guys wait before cleaning them ?

15. Dkaup

Dkaup New Member

State:
    Columbus,nebraska
    I put my channels in a live well for a couple of days to let them clean out. i think they taste better this way. Then when i'm ready to clean them i cut the tail and let them bleed then there is no blood line.

16. USE TO BE

USE TO BE New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I put mine in cooler when they are still alive after a night of fishing and put a bag of ice on them for 12 hrs or so. This does 2 things. The cold ice makes their blood draw into their internals as they die making the fillets nice and white, and it makes them real easy to fillet when the meat is colder and more firm.

I cut them into nuggets then I soak them in salt water and freeze them. Thaw them when I'm ready and dip them in Louisiana Hot sauce and bread them with corn meal and bread crumbs. Makes them nice and cruchy and gives them a little kick.

17. twisted

twisted New Member

interesting. we usually clean them that night.im always afraid of the meat going bad.

ive never heard of bleeding them before.

18. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Fried, Fried and uhhh....fried....yeah fried....I like em fried!

19. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    You should check the lakes or rivers you take fish out of due to high mercury levels in the fish . We have 2 lakes that we eat the fish out of with no fear . Anywhere else we throw them back .

As far as cooking the fish we use andys fish batter and fry in grease .

Welcome to the b.o.c.

20. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    how ive allways done it but looks like iam gonna have to give this way a try now thax guys :smile2: