Channel catfish are kickin' in.

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by drpepper, Oct 14, 2008.

1. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Alot of you guys like channels - I try to avoid them like turtles and thought it was odd that I havent caught one in probably a month- I havent even had one tug my bait. So now I see a member getting a pb channel which is interestin' because the last two nights the channels have come back with a vengeance where I fish~ and I mean the BIG ones.
    I'm pretty sure I got my pb channel last night too. It was dark, and I've just come to expect lately that what ever I reel in to be a Flathead....

I reached down and lipped this channel, the whole time thinking it was a flathead.... until it talked to me while I was taking the hook out and made me look closer at it LOL..
    I have a picture but I'm not sure how it turned out (I'll check that later) But It's head was unusually large... a very ugly lookin' channel.
    last night and the night before, I've caught more channels then I have all year long... big ones, on big live bait. Shoot man, I'm half tempted to go out with some cut stuff and give channels a whirl for a night or two (after the flattie bite.)

2. bobcatcher

bobcatcher New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I caught my personal best channel Saturday night; a 20#er, however I wasn't fishing for channels. The same water I was catching blues in 3 weeks ago have only produced channels for the last couple weeks. I can't seem to find where they have gone. The lake I fish is only 20 feet deep and little cover. Anyway congrats on your big channel. Hope you catch that big flattie your looking for!

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    AH MAN! Here we go again. My beloved channel cat gettin talked about like a red headed step child. :smile2:

4. bobcatcher

bobcatcher New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I meant no disrespect. I enjoy catching channels, blues or flatheads; I just love fish'in for cats!

5. ironcat

ironcat New Member

State:
    indiana
    thanks for the report Dr.pepper. If I get rained out tomorrow I plan on tearing the channels up!!!!!!!!

6. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    glad to hear your getting some stink on your hands pepper. i have been on the crapy the last few days. im searching for that first 16in+ of the fall :wink:

7. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have been catching channels... the average has been in the 8 to 10 pound range... but its good to know the bigger ones are on the prowl

8. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Just got in from the river,, tore them smallies up big time while waiting for bite thirty. After that, I got my arse skunked off fishing for flatties... I didnt try to get channels at all, but I seen 'em in the shallows/riffs near the head of some holes popping minnow schools like starving bass. Yeah- they were channel lol

9. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I caught two little flatties and a channel tonight... sound like a catfishing show... Two Flatties and a Channel...LOL:smile2::smile2: