Channel Catfish - Anyone tried using soap?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by badcat, Jun 14, 2006.

1. badcat

badcat New Member

State:
    indiana
    has anyone heard of using ivory soup for bait?

2. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    search around there are several threads dealing with different types of baits and Ivory soap always comes up. From what I've read most of the use is on trotlines.

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I've heard of people using certain kinds of soap for bait but never tried it myself.

4. Cody

Cody New Member

State:
    South Dakota
    I have used soap as bait but never had any luck with it so I stopped using it.

5. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    i too have tried using ivory soap as bait here in some local lakes with lots of channels, with no luck. seems like it would be a good bait though, stays on the hook well.

6. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    When my father and I were commercial fishing back in the 50's & 60's we used to use soap on our trot lines once in a while when we couldn't get any other type of bait or we needed some quick bait. We never used ivory soap, we used a soap called blue barrel soap. I don't believe they make blue barrel anymore. We used to catch fish on it but as a general rule they were smaller fish. Another downside to using soap for bait is it will dull your hooks pretty quickly. I've never tried using soap since I started rod & reel fishing. One thing about using soap for bait,if you catch a fish it will have a clean mouth!(LOL)

7. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    If you use soap do you still have to clean them?

8. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    15 years ago we ran trotlines with it never tried it on r/r but worked well on the trot

9. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Tried it last year with no luck on rod and reel. Although I didnt use it for a long time i did use it 3-4 times no luck. I quickly gave it up. I still have the soap cut in chunks maybe ill give it another shot. As I understand this is slow bait meaning for trotline or on a rod holder with a few hours to kill.

10. Bullseye017

Bullseye017 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have never personally tried soap but Zote Soap from mexico is supposed to work great for all kinds of catfish

11. Umba

Umba New Member

State:
    WI
    Tried some catfish soap bait made in Saginaw Texas.Didnt have any luck but didnt give it much of a chance.Been meaning to try it again.
    Umba

12. Catfishhunter2U

Catfishhunter2U New Member

State:
    mo.
    ask Diodeman..he seems to know all...very smart catfisher.:cool2:

13. live22skate

live22skate New Member

State:
    Arizona
    ive used soap multiple timez with no luck, but i have caught a small channel on a piece of flavored gum.lol

14. gone_fishin

gone_fishin New Member

State:
    Logansport, Indiana
    I've used soap once this summer and had pretty good luck. I caught a bunch of nice size eater channels. A couple of them almost stole my rod and holder. They loved it.

15. shipchef

shipchef New Member

State:
    Texas
    A lot of people here in East Texas use the Zote soap with good results. Last year I made my own "lye" soap rendering down beef fat, adding the lye and anise oil. Apparently catfish like licorice because I tore them up on both rod and reel and my trotlines.--works really good on jug lines, too.
    sc

16. Ulizth

Ulizth New Member

State:
    St. Clairsville, Ohio
    I have heard that ivory soap works on trot and bank lines although I have no first hand experience with this.