Channel catfish and "salt water mussels"

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by Beaver, Jun 2, 2006.

1. Beaver

Beaver New Member

State:
    California
    We have an asian market here in town and I am wondering if fresh
    Salt water mussels would be a good bait for Channel Catfish.

Please comment,

Thanks,

HARRY

2. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Harry, Welcome to the Brotherhood. Make yourself at home.

I've never tried mussels for bait but I cleaned a mess of cats Tuesday that were full of little mussels. They must like 'em. You could squeeze around on them and hear the shells inside of them. I told the wife they rattled like a sack of marbles. We might need to gather us up some and carry a drill with us to drill a hole through the shell so we can put them on a hook.
    :0a10:

ST

3. bigbuba

bigbuba New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I never tried it before but im sure that it will work im just going to use chicken liver because it works best for me.

4. jerellman

jerellman New Member

State:
    CA
    Caught a channel couple weeks ago and its stomach was full of mussel, on the bank of the lake i fished it from i saw many mussel shells maybe 30-40 of them in a 20 foot radius, mmaybe its a steady food supply.

5. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have a small lake near where I live that I have never really had much luck at. The only catfish I have caught out of there was a 5# channel on meat I pulled out of a mussel.

Salt water mussels might catch them, but if you are allowed to by your state laws you would probably do better to use mussles you find in the water there.

6. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    Welcome to the BOC and if you try the mussels let us know how it works.

7. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have used fresh and salt water Clams for bait,along with salt water Shad and Mullet when living on the Georgia coast and going freshwater Cat fishing.What we call MUSSELS are different from Clams.I once tried a few Oysters to see what they would do.Great,but soft bait.The Cats really loved them,along with every bait we had.They were biting any and everything,so it didn;t prove a thing.You can put all of "OUR" live clams and mussels in the freezer for a while and they will open a lot easier after getting good and cold.peewee-williams