Channel catfish and color

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by villaitefla, Feb 4, 2007.

1. villaitefla

villaitefla New Member

State:
    Florida
    Hi Guys,
    Been some great threads of late, it's helping me find the Channels, even in this "cooler" weather that Florida is experiencing right now.
    Has anyone ever experimented with coloring baits for Channels?
    I do it a lot for carp, and particular colors do have an effect at certain times of the day.
    I just wondered if maybe red was better than yellow for instance??
    I have no idea .......... just looking for some knowledgable input from all you catfishers out there
    Thanks
    Tony

PS Just caught a new PB Channel at 13lb 1oz .... :smile2:

2. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I don't know about colors but I always use cubed up sucker minnows and I have always done great.

3. ken_hawk

ken_hawk New Member

State:
    Halstead, Kansas
    I too have found that when using stinkbaits that when using one color in a particular spot i wouldn't get a bite, and then i switch colors and get a lot of fish. the color i catch most on around here in kansas is the chartreuse hogwild dipbait worms. those are usually the best color for the water conditions we have here most of the time. i've been told to try darker colors in mirky water on a cloudy day and to use lighter colors on sunny days.

4. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    i don't know, someday i use chicken liver as while, nothing bite then switch to nightcrawler. channel start hitting on worms as while.

5. bhunt

bhunt New Member

State:
    *Required*
    I have heard that they can see red very good. I hope you werent in that bad tornado that hit your state. Prayers are being said from my texas home to your state and people.

6. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Thanks, BHUNT for the prayers, while I'm further south than where the tornados hit, my buddies mom lives right where they were @.

She didn't get hit but some of her neighbors did:sad2: .

I could be wrong about the coloring of the baits but I always felt that the vision of a channel cat was so poor that I never really bothered worrying about that aspect & primarily just tried to vary different types of baits/scents to determine what they are hitting on:roll_eyes:

7. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I have read several articles sayin that a catfish's site is quite good. However, with their bodys bein somewhat of a giant nose so to speak. Ya would think that smell and taste would be the main concern.

8. wizkersNworms

wizkersNworms New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have never really changed colors or even tried different colors when it comes to catching channel catfish. However, several times over the last few years, I have caught them in the spring on rooster tails, and the color in that instance seems to matter. For example, they hit nearly every cast a chartreuse rooster tail with a silver blade, but won't hit an orange/red tail with a gold blade.

I don't profess to have much hard facts regarding their site, but, I think it is better than we usually give them credit for.

9. mudgut

mudgut New Member

State:
    oh
    On the color thing, do you remember when the baits came out with red hooks, the seller to the bait was red hooks being injured bait. Now all of these line companies are coming out with red line that disappears when it is in the water a few feet. Now the question is does it diappear or not?

10. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Get 3-4 Chicken breasts and cut into1 1/4"x3/4x3/4" thick peices and put into ziplock bag then mix 1pk Cherry or strawberry jello along with 1 pk the same koolaid, shake up and mix well then add to chicken mix well untill all is completely covered. let set in fridge overnight or even for the week before the fishing trip, when you get to thr fishing hole, and the channels are there,put a peice of chicken on the hook and then a half a nightcrawler, then catch fish. channels love it at different times,but if you get'em started on it you will catch quite a few. Good Luck

11. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ya i agree with george, channels smell with nares, nostrils, and have thousands of taste buds all over thier body in thier skin. they can find bait even when blinded by fish hooks. ive caught channels with popped eyes. color in most cases would not do much good ide guess.