Channel catfish 3/24 Tappan Lake

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by rockbass, Mar 25, 2007.

1. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Took my Daughter fishing today at Tappan lake. It ended up paying off. Started out with a rod getting hit hard. She reeled in a carp 5-6 lbs, but it made a last second lunge into a metal culvert and cut the 8 lb line. She was bummed. Tried another location, and she landed a squeaker maybe 10 inches long. Caught a couple other squeakers, but the best fish of the day was a channel cat only 22 inches long, but it had to weigh 4.5 - 5 lbs. This thing has a massive gut on it, but the pictures don't do it any justice. It was fun as can be catching it on my new ultralight(bait catcher) 4 lb test 1/16 oz jighead tipped with crawler. Needless to say I will be back out after them tomorrow......and I will be using the ultralight again:cool2: :big_smile:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    that is one big gut! nice fish, glad to hear someones catching something

3. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    glad someone is getting to fish, pretty much flooded out down here. congrats on the fish...can't wait til my daughter is old enough to take her too.:big_smile:

4. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks for sharing the pics. You just can not beat any day out with a kid fishing.:big_smile:

5. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Nice fish Rocky. Better watch out before that girl starts outfishing you.

6. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I know it. I put my cousin (greasemonkey) on his first flattie last fall....38 lbs.

This year I am going to get my daughter on her first flattie. I wonder what will be in store for her:crazy:

7. ohio catfisherman

ohio catfisherman New Member

State:
    Ohio
    congrats good looking fish im glad you caught one i went a couple days ago and didnt even get a bite

8. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
    I hit Tappan 3/28/07 and caught 10 channel catfish 11 1/2" to 20 1/4". I also caught 1 bullhead. The 20 1/4" channel catfish weighed 3 1/4lb. It looks like you are fishing in one of my favorite spots. That is where I caught my largest flathead so far, 47lb 5oz. I recognize the bridge and the tree line. I caught my channel cats a few hundred yards past where you were at, off of 250 on the main lake side. The next bridge is pretty good also. I checked the water temp and it was 56.7F. There should be some bigger channel cats moving into this area soon.

Good fishing, D_Weezy

9. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yeah you know where I was:eek:oooh:

Thanks for the report! I will be heading out there tonight to meet up with greasemonkey. We will be at that rail most likely. I have a red Ford Ranger if you come by. He has a black one.