Channel Cat???

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by Cuz, Aug 19, 2005.

1. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Hello all. I need the help of the masses once again. I went out yesterday afternoon on the river and did pretty good. I caught a half dozen blues and a half dozen channel cats or so. Overall great day. On one of my rods I had a carps head (A big one) which I had used all day without anything touching it. Of course, my regular fishing buddy was laughing at me until right at dark and time to go home, the drag started hissin and the fight was on. I thought I had a big Flattie. It took me 10 minutes or so to get the fish in and I thought I had a pretty nice blue. On closer inspection in the boat, this was unlike any blue I had ever caught. The fishes head was massive, and resembled a blue cat, but it had the distinct body shape of a channel cat, and had the trademark forked channel cat tail. It also had the whiskers and fin placement of a channel cat. Its head size was way out of proportion with its body. Best way I can describe it is picture a saint bernards head on a dachsunds body. I quickly checked the State record for a channel cat and it stands at 34 pounds and 10 ounces. Mine weighed right at 30, so I released him. Is this a channel cat guys? Do the big channels head get big like that? Is it possible to have a hybrid channel and blue mix? Of course I didnt have the camera or I would have taken a photo so everyone could see this strange fish. As for coloring, he was colored just like a Blue. Thanks for any information.

2. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    CHANNEL CATFISH

(Ictalurus punctatus)

COMMON NAMES - spotted cat, blue channel cat, river catfish

DESCRIPTION - Channel catfish closely resemble blue catfish. Both have deeply forked tails. However, channels have a rounded anal fin with 24-29 rays and scattered black spots along their back and sides. They have a small, narrow head. The back is blue-gray with light blue to silvery-gray sides and a white belly. Larger channels lose the black spots and also take on a blue-black coloration on the back which shades to white on the belly. Males also become very dark during spawning season and develop a thickened pad on their head.

Hey guys. I found this on description on another site. The part that intrigued me was where it says they lose their spots and take on a blue/black coloration and get a thick pad on their head. (The Males do) That being said, I did a search for record channel cats all over the country and none of them resemble the fish I caught. What a bummer I didnt have a camera.

3. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    It very well could of been a channel in a spawn,during a spawn the musle in the head swells.
    Loop

4. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    John,

There are some definite "weird" fish out there. I caught one a couple years back that had the head of a flathead but definitely not the body of one. It was only 5 lbs or so but you could tell there was just something not quite right.

Your fish very well could of been a big channel. I haven't seen a channel that big, so I really couldn't say.

Shane

5. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Biggest channel I have landed is 27 pounds and 40 inches long. That was durring the spawn though. The bigger the channel the harder it is to tell from a blue. Males heads get swallen and thick. The real true way is to count the anal fin rays and see if it's in a half moon shape. Other then that good chance it was either.

6. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Thanks for the information guys. Based on what you all say, I think its very probable that this was a channel cat. I can honestly say that had this fish not been so skinny he probably would have been a state record. He did have the anal fin of a channel cat, however I didnt count them. I probably should have counted them. Lesson learned, BRING A CAMERA ON EVERY FISHING TRIP. :sad:

7. ASASIN

ASASIN New Member

State:
    Lawson Missouri
    It more than likely was a big male channel from the way you described it. Congrats on the nice fish!!!!!!!!!!! God bless.

8. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Thanks alot Asasin. I think I did have a channel cat. If for some reason this fish was in some sort of a late or delayed spawn, it would explain why he was so skinny. Hes still out there. Maybe hell gain five pounds or so and I can catch him again.

9. smallriverrat

smallriverrat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Big channel looks alot like a Blue. When the state record channel was at Cabelas I went up to pay my respects. It took me alittle while to find it and when I did, I thought it was a blue.

Also I was reading this article awhile back and it said that channels and blues will not crossbreed due to location and time of the year they breed. Channels breeding grounds and Blues are totally different. But for some reason they decided to figure out a way to crossbreed them. I think it was they like channels in ponds but liked blues size so they was trying to get a crossbreed that would do well in ponds and get a big size. I don't know if they do this alot or just for a special occasion or just to see if they could do it. But I don't know anything more about the crossbreed fish.

Dave

10. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Thx for the information Dave. I'm fairly sure that it was a channel cat. I still remain puzzled as to the disproportionate size between the fishes head and body. His head was bigger than that of the 90 pound blue I caught back in 2001, yet he had a long skinny body. Perhaps he was sick or something. Thanks for your insight. Good Luck Fishin!!!!!! :)

11. safetybass

safetybass New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Jetdriver:

I'm no expert on cats, but I did catch a channel yesterday. It sounds like a channel that might have lost some weight. There's been a bug going round lately. I had it for four days. :eek: :crying:

12. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Sorry to hear about the bug. Fishin is HOT, so get better and get out there. The big blues are feeding pretty good right now. Best Of luck to you, and thx for the information.