Channel cat spawn

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA RIVERS TALK' started by jagdoctor1, May 28, 2009.

1. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Hey there all you colorado river rats. People tolk about the flathead spawn alot but I've never read much about the channel cat spawn. I've been surprised lately at the lack of channel cat action. I was wondering if the channels were on spawn last few weeks? It's either that or I have a spot that produced nice big flats and no channels.. :eek:oooh:

Just curious since the flats are starting to spawn now I might turn more towards channels for a bit.

2. CatMan(Cali)

CatMan(Cali) Well-Known Member

State:
    Fresno Californ
    So does that mean the flathead bite is dying down just in time for the gathering?:sad2:

3. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    chris, been my experience that if big flats are around, i don't get many channels. think the big suckers eat them.
    and the channels i caught a month or less ago, were full of eggs so maybe spawn was or is on up there? gotta catch one to find out i guess.
    gary

4. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Phil I don't normally fish channels.. Got to have something to do if the flats get any slower though. Yes catmann .. that is my theory.. the local F&G warden says the same thing. I do pray it's wrong though.

That is cool Gary I hope that is what's going on.. only reassures me more about my new spot!!:wink:

5. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    chris, i'm bringing a bar of soap for you and catman(cali) to chew on for trying to jinx this gathering. you dare to say something like that. you both owe everyone a beer for that. :wink:
    gary

6. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    We have to remember that the spawn out this many and other areas is during a window period. That window normally is during a 2 month period. Out this way that window is April thru June. One thing we need to be cognitive of during this window period is that not all cats spawn at the same time. Some will be in pre spawn mode, post spawn mide, or actual spawn mode. I caught cats at the river and canal with eggs in early April to early June. So during this period you can still get the cats. I rarely target channels at the river as well unless i want my son to get in on some action the goal is flathead or pig gills for the fryer. But I do know if you fish certain zones there you can rake on channels. They been pretty easy for some folks if you happen to locate them. The channel bite is on I know in the imperial valley and the river and its off shoot canals is no different. Just have to find where they are at. Shallowe areas normally is the rule of thumb this time of year. there are some areas of canals in Blythe that you can slay them at especially some of the irrigation canals.

7. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Naw Sean its all good. The best months have been May and June for really good flat action. I found that the flat bite drops off mid summer and picks back up in the fall. You can still get em in the summer but the best bite bites in the spring and fall.

8. desertcatrat

desertcatrat New Member

State:
    Palm Springs,a.
    hey chris i caght a 8lb channel at alamo the other nite it was fat but i cpr'd all my fish so i couldnt tell ya it could be different down there though the flats were on the tear i caught ten wierd thing though only on one rod my7'9 catmaxx 20-50 live bait and quantum clw 20 w 50lb cajun red and good ol goldfish there hard workers them suckers nothin on my other setup my buddy got skunked he was not too happy only that one rod same biat on all setups whereever i put it it got bit i gave my buddy my spot he got none and i got bit where he was it was some serious mojo on that rod its voodoo man after enough beers it was anyways haha

9. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    That is actually fairly common.. I usually have one or 2 hot rods.. I usually put them right back where they came from to keep it up so I am never sure if it's location of the bait or what. I've noticed lately that whatever the lightest rig I put out is... that's the one that gets the fish lol.

10. desertcatrat

desertcatrat New Member

State:
    Palm Springs,a.
    man i gave my spot to my buddy 3 or 4 times but wherever i moved it blammo all the same setups and only that one
    its big mojo man
    we are rackin our brains tryin to figure it out i m stumped
    other than just odd luck
    must be the mojo man

11. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    The fish feel it,,, they know what's going on,, and, They just liked your rig!!
    I have one rig I call my "lucky" rig,, till another one gets hit, then that one is my lucky rig!!

And, Gary,, I have to agree,,,,, What was he thinkin',,,,,,, He's gonna have to buy a BIG round for everybody.:wink:

12. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Ya'll are just beating me up for no reason. I was asking about the channels.. Someone else brought up the negative aspects of the timing, not me. I knew it but didn't say anything about it until he asked me.
    By the way. Went out and did a little channel fishing with the girls. Caught 3 kept 2 and had alot of action.. I'm thinking it may have been the bait I was using before.. we used some cheap stink bait tonight that I got in a basket from the flat and furious tourny and it was working real well. Nothing big but the fish obviously loved it.

13. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Hey Chris,, I'll drink to that too!!! LOL

14. CatMan(Cali)

CatMan(Cali) Well-Known Member

State:
    Fresno Californ
    Thanks Blue. I aint driving 7hrs to get skunked.:wink: Is it officially summer yet?

15. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    I'm not sure where you are at in California, but in Nor Cal, they are still in pre-spawn mode. Water temps have not been high enough to trigger the spawn. However, the spawn will be happening very soon for channel cats. Part of the spawn is triggered by water temp. It is also speculated that length of day also regulates channel cat spawning. Remember, the longest day of the year is later this month. With this crazy weather we are having (it's supposed to rain this week in N. California) the water temps have not warmed up enough to trigger the need to breed.

Channel cats typically spawn when water temps stabilize and remain at or above 75 degrees (80 degrees is optimal).

16. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Thanks for the info man. Sounds real similar to the flathead spawn. I am all the way down at the bottom of the state in the desert so things are quite a bit warmer here. Probably already in process.

17. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    chris, make you a deal. you answer my request about showing my friend the canal, and i'll only make you buy me one beer. :smile2:
    gary
    see you soon

18. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    What Size,,,,,would that beer be????:wink: LOL

19. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    I'm lost on that one Gary..