channel cat rig

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by YUKON JACK, Feb 21, 2008.

1. YUKON JACK

YUKON JACK New Member

State:
    WASHINGTON
    does any one else rig this way. i was having trouble with my leader getting hung around my sinker and thought this would work. any suggestions?:angry:

2. YUKON JACK

YUKON JACK New Member

State:
    WASHINGTON
    Barrel swivel with main line through it then bead tied to another barrel swivel. off this swivel tie a leader 6" long to a pyramid sinker. of the free sliding swivel tie a 6" leader to a hook. put a split shot above the free sliding swivel to keep it from backing up the line!

3. YUKON JACK

YUKON JACK New Member

State:
    WASHINGTON
    tried to upload a pic i drew on the paint program but it didn't work. sorry:sad2:

4. irishangler

irishangler New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Yukon,
    By the way, I once had a Siberian Husky named Yukon Jack. He was the best dog I've owned.
    I just read an article about this problem and they fixed it with a drinking straw. They ran the leader from the swivel through a drinking straw cut to fit the length of line where it tied off to the weight. This kept it from tangling with the line during casts and drifts. Good luck and let me know if it works. I'll probably be trying it when the weather warms up.

Mike

5. YUKON JACK

YUKON JACK New Member

State:
    WASHINGTON
    finally figured it out

Attached Files:

6. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Im with Mike on this one. I've seen the rig before with a straw used. it makes good sense but I have never used it. Good luck.

7. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Looks like a whole lotta knots ya don't need. Use a 3 way swivel to accomplish the same thing.

8. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I am not really understanding what you are describing, but it sounds like a form of three way rig. If you can find some three way swivels they should work well for you.

9. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    my humble opinion..thats way too much stuff for channel catfishing. just hook line and sinker is all you need. split shots make ur line easier to break which defeats the purpose of having a leader. the amount of channels you catch that are capable of breaking anything over ten pound test is few and far between.

10. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    When I fish for channel cat in very fast water i use barrel swivel then a split shot spaced about a foot ....... a heavy sliding sinker .......nother 8 inches split shot then about 4 or 5 inches then the tubular sticky stink bait worm with treble hook retied to my 30 lb braid.