Channel Cat Question???

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by BobEver, Jun 12, 2008.

1. BobEver

BobEver New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Was out on my boat Saturday with a buddy. We fished the Darby Creek just off the DE River. This is near Philadelphia PA. Hit 3 spots I normally do REAL well in. Marked water temps of 71-72. Had a TERRIBLE day.

Does anyone know if the channels are currently spawing in the area, and if so, the spawn shuts down the bite?

Thanks.

2. Ghoulscout 13

Ghoulscout 13 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    it is possible that the spawn would be shutting down the bite a little bit, but not a dead stop, if you think channels are spawning your best bet is going to be to hit riprap along the shore, channels are cavity spawners and this is premo local for em, however if a low pressure front was movin in that could had affected the bite as well as often they will head a little deeper when thats the case, so it could have been any of those things.

3. Naack

Naack New Member

State:
    Irwin PA
    Ya may wanna ask this question in the PA section their are alot of boys in the Philly area .. i wish i could help ya , but im on the Pittsburgh side.

4. ittybittykitty

ittybittykitty New Member

State:
    Belleville Michigan
    This is a little off your question but it's something to think about. River beds are constently changing. I had a hole in a small river that was over 7 feet deep. That is, I couldn't touch bottom with a 6' paddle. I went out one summer and that spot was the same depth as the rest of that stretch, about 18". A year or two later, it was again too deep to wade. The moral is to check your holes, especially after the spring floods to see if they have changed. It may be that the features the cats were relating to are no longer there.

5. BobEver

BobEver New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks for your replies.

6. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    usually when the males are in the spawn the females will move around the nest and feed

7. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    in your post, you stated that the water temps were around the 71-72 deg Farenheit range. these temps are ideal for channel cats to spawn. that would probably explain the reason for the lousy fishing. give it a week or so and try again. hopefully the bite will be back on. GOOD LUCK TO YA!

TAKE CARE and HAVE A GREAT YEAR OF FISHING!!:big_smile::big_smile::wink:
    Mark..