Channel Cat Pics - Clear Lake CA

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by KnotGillty, Sep 17, 2007.

1. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    Went to Clear Lake on Friday evening with my wife to celebrate my birthday weekend. We limped out to a nearby spot with the electric trolling motor and anchored up for the night in 12 feet of water. Water temp was 74 degrees. The fishing action was terribly slow for the first part of the night and we didn’t catch any fish until 4am. And then BAM, the bite absolutely exploded for the last several hours before daybreak.! ! !

Here is the first fish to come into the boat. It put up a great battle and even jumped out of the water after the initial hook set. [​IMG]

After a rush of adreneline & some high fives, I re-baited the poles and warmed up next to the heater. Less than 15 minutes later, it’s my wife's turn to hook up and she lands this pretty channel cat.
    [​IMG]

A female channel cat
    [​IMG]

This big male channel barely stayed in my hands long enough for the picture.
    [​IMG]

A couple of the fish had these ugly little leech thingys on the underside of their jaw.
    [​IMG]

Another male channel cat
    [​IMG]

Another beautiful female.
    [​IMG]

Next it’s Cheryl’s turn and she boats this male channel cat. It had a big 6 inch scar across it’s back about 2/3 way down the body. Probably got hit by a prop when it was a youngster?
    [​IMG]

Saturday night we anchored below the outdoor arena and listened to the Styx/Def Leppard concert from the water. The fishing was slow Saturday night after the concerts. I guess it would help if I kept fresh bait on the rods every 30 minutes. Instead, the long weekend began to take its toll on my body and I fell asleep (I didn't rebait for over 6 hours). All in all it was an extraordinary weekend. I was very blessed to be able to catch some awesome channel cats, spend quality time with my wife, and listen to live rock-n-roll. It doesn’t get much better. We were off the water by 9:15am Sunday morning. And oh yeah, ALL FISH WERE RELEASED TO FIGHT ANOTHER DAY.

2. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Wtg Randy- Thanks for sharing the pics

3. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Yeah, great pics, and story. Sounds like a hella good time! Thanx for sharing with us.:cool2:

4. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Right on Randy! Very nice! love the layout on ************** of your story. The pics and all as you describe the 2 days. Ever find out what them lil bugs are underneath them kitties?

5. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Great bunch of Channels.

Wish I could figure out what starts the bite, the when and why.

Maybe that would take the fun out of it? Naaaaaah!:smile2:

6. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    looks like it was agreat time!!!!! def leopard & channel cats.what could be better?

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Nice fish! We used to have a member who lived and fished on Clear Lake, but I haven't seen any posts from him for some time now.

8. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    nice looking fish you gott there. sounds like they were moving into the area you were in to feed. talk about right place right time. keep em coming, its nice to see someone catching some good quality fish.

9. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Hi Randy, thanks for posting your pictures. Man those were some nice channels!

Jaime

10. CHAVEZ CHAVEZ

CHAVEZ CHAVEZ New Member

State:
    WesternSlope,CO
    sweet !!! man i would like to kook into 1 of those !!!!!! congrats

11. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Randy, forgot to mention Happybirthday.

Jaime

12. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    I tried to pick one off, but it was a strong little sucker and would not let go. They were some sort of parasite. I've seen a couple of other catfish over the years that have huge sores under their chins. I'm thinking it's all related.

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes.:wink: Actually, I was in an area that has produced lots of big fish for me in the past. It has all the classic conditions for big channel cats. It's a fairly large area out in open water with a deeper flat that buts up against a ledge and then a shallower flat on top. It's my opinion that the fish were already in the vicinity, but they just were not active. They were likely just sitting on bottom, hunkered down & resting. If I had been drifting I bet I would have found the inactive fish a lot earlier. Anyway, for whatever reason, those inactive fish obviously began cruising around before daybreak, looking for an easy meal. I was just the dude to give them a little treat. Besides, I think they knew I was going to release them anyway:smile2:

13. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Impressive fish, and great pics. They made a great birthday present. U think they had the munchies afyer the concert??

14. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    :smile2: Yep......they had the muncies.....:wink::smile2:

15. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Looks like you had a great birthday trip. Nice bunch of channels. Happy Birthday and thanks for sharing the trip.

16. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Very nice Channels.

17. Rhinocat

Rhinocat New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    thanks for the sharing.. nice catches..

18. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    where is clear lake located? i am in Yuma az, and i tried to look it up on google maps but it keeps sending me to the one in minnesota.

19. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Great pics very nice fish. Thanks for sharing.

20. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Clear Lake is North of Sanfrancisco about an 1hr away. Also look up catfished on google. A lot of great info there about Clear lake. :wink: