Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Technology has changed this for many. When I was growing up we had a lantern on every trip. Now the rods light up, led lights turn night to day and black lights and hi vis line give us the chance to see every tick in the line. I haven’t used a lantern in about 5 years. It’s certainly nostalgic but I don’t miss the hot bucket tango on the trip home after a night with the lantern.

·
Premium Member
1,668 Posts
I used coleman pump-up lanterns up until the 90's. Then started using their propane models. Like most i quit a few years ago after i quit bank fishing. I use i small led in the boat to see how to bait by. But have switched over to flourescent tips on my rods and nights now are a different game.

·
Registered
Stacee from Indiana
2,459 Posts
I used one of those gas Coleman lanterns I had got for my birthday in my teens. It was paired up with my Zebco 202,404 and a 33.
Now days I use a led light on my head and a couple battery powered led lanterns. Mostly pointed directly at my rod tips only. I still use a Zebco 808 for carp and cats and a newer Zebco 33 for bait.

·
Registered
Big Sam Arkansas
6,365 Posts
Its green / red / white / halogen lights now...they got re chargeable that will run all night and are safe for ALL to use especially in a boat.....I still got my pumps and propane tho.......... we used to tie them on a strong tree limb and ease out over the water to catch crappie in the creek when it was running...... Im getting older...LOL

·
Registered
174 Posts
When I get to missin my Dad and Grandpa , I get out the double mantle Coleman and head for the Little Wabash . There is a nice sand bar we used to go to a lot north of town that my 96 yr old mother still owns. Got a T post with a lantern hook welded on it , set it right at the waters edge and put out some poles.
By the time it gets daylight , I may not have caught much but , I have smiled or teared up some with a night full of memories of them both.
Turning 63 soon and I hope I have made enough memories with my sons and grandsons that they do the same someday , maybe on that same sandbar.

·
Registered
581 Posts
having not fished for any cat other than bull heads most my life, now with channels I always take along a light. Getting to where I don't use it a lot at night anymore other than getting back to the car. problem is sitting there fishing with the light on draws every annoying bug in the state to you. Recently got a head lamp and works about the same but doesn't light up as much area but still attracts the bugs. Used to use the Colman gas lantern's but they have a major draw back. They get hot! Really hot! Really like them except for that. Newer gas lantern's use those little bottles but they also still get hot. On the plus side, I seldom stay out after dark anymore.

·
Premium Member
11,700 Posts
I kinda miss using my gas lanterns. They are shown I post #6 and to me are keepsakes. Mom's and Dad's lanterns.

But as mentioned they do draw every bug in the State. And you have to buy fuel. And the lantern mantle will get broken on occasion. Heaven forbid the glass globe breaks.

Now I use a smaller collapsible LED flash light/lantern combination. Bright light, no heat several ways to use but it still attracts bugs. So it is not used unless needed for something specific.

Finally there is the world of head lamps. LED with multiple light selections. There are a score of available head lamps on the market but I look for a couple of things.

First, MUST have a red light. The red light will work better with your eyes and not effect your vision as much when you turn the light out. I can't say it will not attract a bug or two but there will not be near as many. I use it for about everything when on the water except tying knots. The red light with my old eyes makes the line disappear. Hard to tie or un-tangle what you can't see. But for general use like finding your pliers they do great.

The white light usually comes in a couple of intensities. Dim and bright are all you need. I use them when walking thru the woods, when landing a fish (if needed), of course tying knots and taking care of tangles.

My best suggestion with LED lights is to first learn the on/off/multiple stage buttons.
Learn to live in the dark as much as possible
Use red whenever you can
Turn on the white light as a last resort and turn it off as soon as possible.

This will get the job done while saving the batteries. It also will help prevent blinding your fishing partner.

Finally ALWAYS, yes ALWAYS turn the head lamp off when getting your picture taken. A picture looking into a bright light is seldom good.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I don't do much night fishing anymore, but when I did, I switched over to citronella candle buckets. They gave me just enough light to see what I was doing, without casting any harsh light on the water. Most of the light from the bucket candle glows up and isn't so bright that it harms your vision. The added benefit is that the flames and wax kill the flying insects. When you are done with them for the night, you simply put them out, let them cool for a few minutes and put the lid back on until next use. They work great.
Fluid Font Liquid Drink Gas

·
Registered
Bill, in OkC
594 Posts
I kinda miss using my gas lanterns. They are shown I post #6 and to me are keepsakes. Mom's and Dad's lanterns.

But as mentioned they do draw every bug in the State. And you have to buy fuel. And the lantern mantle will get broken on occasion. Heaven forbid the glass globe breaks.
I have an led headlight that has on, strobe and off. For intensity, it has a turning collar that takes it from flood to beam. I use it when I need to retie a line.
I also have a lantern that I got at Harbor Freight. Uses 4 D cell batteries.
I guess it’s about time for a new one. Changed the batteries the other night, not 10 minutes later it went off. I turned it back on. Went off immediately.
So I got out the 12 volt lights I mentioned in another post.

·
Registered
Bill, in OkC
594 Posts
I don't do much night fishing anymore, but when I did, I switched over to citronella candle buckets. They gave me just enough light to see what I was doing, without casting any harsh light on the water. Most of the light from the bucket candle glows up and isn't so bright that it harms your vision. The added benefit is that the flames and wax kill the flying insects. When you are done with them for the night, you simply put them out, let them cool for a few minutes and put the lid back on until next use. They work great.
I bought some citronella candles. Then looked online to see how big an area they would “cover “ to get rid of” mosquitoes.
It literally said zero. Said citronella doesn’t do anything to make them avoid the area.
It said that the best thing to get mosquitoes out of your area is a “breeze, about 5 mph”

The “breeze here at Overholser tonight (weather page online says 17 mph), nary a bug in sight. Even the spiders who like to build webs between fishing lines on two or more poles aren’t here.

It is breezy and the water is “wavy”!
But, everyone says ,”If you don’t like the weather in Oklahoma, wait five minutes, it’ll change.” So…

·
Registered
639 Posts
I bought some citronella candles. Then looked online to see how big an area they would “cover “ to get rid of” mosquitoes.
It literally said zero. Said citronella doesn’t do anything to make them avoid the area.
It said that the best thing to get mosquitoes out of your area is a “breeze, about 5 mph”

The “breeze here at Overholser tonight (weather page online says 17 mph), nary a bug in sight. Even the spiders who like to build webs between fishing lines on two or more poles aren’t here.

It is breezy and the water is “wavy”!
But, everyone says ,”If you don’t like the weather in Oklahoma, wait five minutes, it’ll change.” So…
I don't use them for the citronella, I use them for the light. If they were just regular candles, they would work just as well. The light attracts the bugs and then they are killed by the flame and or the hot wax. The citronella means nothing to me, it just happens to be the easiest way to find candles in a bucket with a lid.

·
Registered
Bill, in OkC
594 Posts
I don't use them for the citronella, I use them for the light. If they were just regular candles, they would work just as well. The light attracts the bugs and then they are killed by the flame and or the hot wax. The citronella means nothing to me, it just happens to be the easiest way to find candles in a bucket with a lid.
oh, I see. I never thought of that. But it makes perfect sense.
I guess I’ll have to find me some.
Thanks for the idea.

Reactions: D_Weezy
1 - 20 of 21 Posts