Channel cat/carp ratio?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by bhunt, Apr 16, 2007.

1. bhunt

bhunt New Member

State:
    *Required*
    I have been baiting a hole for channel cats with protien blocks and soured hen scratch and Im catching one cat per three carp. Just wondering if this is normal our should I move to another area to bait. I have only been baiting this area for two days and it is realy producing for me already. Im new to baiting holes. Thanks for any help our ideas.

2. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I suggest you change your hook size if you want cat. I don't catch a carp very often on large hooks. Maybe that would help.:smile2:

3. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Maybe Doyle is right. I normally use size 5/0 to 7/0 circle hooks and end up catching about one carp every two years.

4. bobby-catfishing

bobby-catfishing New Member

State:
    Highland Villag
    Bhunt,
    I think I read this post on another forum. I was suprised to see your catching carp on DK's. I fish with Sure Shot and have never caught a single carp or buffalo. I have caught a few drum though. There maybe just enough grain products or filler added in the bait to get the carp interested. I'd try changing bait. Punch bait will just about always catch more than cut bait over a baited hole.