Channel Cat bite patterns

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by janzaldo, Oct 1, 2007.

1. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Hello, was hoping you might help me out with the way channels take bait. I was out fishing this past Saturday at a pay lakre called Corona. My question is do channels always take the bait and run or do they peck at it. I was flylining my bait with the bail opened. I noticed the line would move but it was not taking any line out. I was maybe thinking it was the current. I would bring the bait up and was bitten. Hope this makes sense. Your input would be appreciated.

Jaime

2. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    Jaime, what were you using for bait? could it of been bluegills pecking at the bait? maybe just small cats. i've seen where channels will sit on bait and nibble at it for 1015 minutes before taking it also.
    remember, those aren't "wild" cats. maybe try weight on bottem and hook up line a few feet. tighten up so bait is off the bottem. channel cats mouths are not shaped good to pick up off bottem so if smaller ones, might be problems.
    one other suggestion if no one is close to you. break out that grenade you carry as back up and use it. :wink:
    gary

3. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Hey Jaime in the past I have had some channels just gulp my bait & some that nibbled at it like a mouse to cheese. It might just be the individual fish that is hitting your bait at that time. :0a26:

4. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    A lake called Corona I would like to visit my fav beer...... But seriously could be the smaller cats and or the bait snatchers. (perch comes to mind). This can happen for several reasons though its kinda of hard to pin-point. There is another thread with the same question if you wanna check it out. I think we all have that problem when they pick up the bait and then drop it:angry:. Try up or downsizing your hook and or bait depending on the conditions.

5. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Thanks for your replies guys!
    I was using Mackeral chunks for bait on one setup and a Looper rig on the other with Hog Wild.

Jaime