Channel Cat attack

Discussion in 'Kayaker and Canoe Fishing' started by Pirate Jerry, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Funny thing happened today. I was in the Yak fishing live bream under a bobber. Suddenly one of the bobbers about 40 feet away went under like someone tied a cement block to it. I took the rod out of the holder and waited for the line to tighten up. (circle hook) After waiting about ten seconds I saw the bobber about a foot under the water heading straight at me. All I could think of was that scene from "JAWS".:0a20: Clunk!! the bobber hit the kayak, went under the boat and kept going. I cranked like crazy and finally got the rod loaded and hooked the cat. I was expecting a monster but it turned out to be a 6 pounder. Never had a cat charge the boat before.. I released that one.

2. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Bad move Jerry. The next fisherman may not be lucky enough to escape "JAWS JUNIOR"!

3. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    That's funny, Jerry! I always figured that catfish go anywhere they can to shake that hook...your kayak must have looked like the nearest cover available at the time! :wink:

4. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Maybe he thought he was going to spike you.

5. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    What was you smoking or drinking?:wink:

I love you brothers and Sisters.peewee

6. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    This is hilarious... I have had them come at me when I was on land, but rarely in a boat of any type LOL

7. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    wass fishing once at irvine lake in ca. cast out of boat one pole far as could, then out of other side far as could. figure spread was at least 75 yds. pole on right goes off. grab it and then pole on left goes off. grab second pole, set the hook and now fighting two fish. put poles in holders on boat and reel first one, then other. yep, both poles now have lines going under boat. finally free spool one, and reel up other. about a 3 lb channel. stuped, greedy thing had both hooks in his mouth. figure that one out.
    gary

8. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    That's a good one, Gary! :smile2:

I always appreciate a good report like that one...

9. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    WELL MAYBE NEXT TIME YOU COULD CAST UNDERNEATH THE BOAT AND SAVE THE TROUBLE:wink: