Changing your game

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by Tangler, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Tangler

Tangler New Member

State:
    Sugarcreek, Ohi
    Between the experience of fishing trips, intake of literature provided here and elsewhere on the net, and trial and error, we are constantly learning. What are you going to change about your approach or techniques this year? Why?

Or what has made all the difference in your fish production?

Tang

2. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I like the question, but it is a changing thing from trip to trip with me. I start out with the method and bait that was catching fish last trip out, and mix it up from there if it doesn't produce fish.
    I guess if there is anything I plan on changing this year, It would be that I plan on trying cutbait for flatheads more than in the past.

3. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I think you learn something everytime you get out, if you catch them or not. Im always changing something to increase my odds rods, reels, line, location, depth, time, etc. Ive learned that patience is the biggest key to catching catfish! If you know they are there, your gonna catch them eventually!

4. Tangler

Tangler New Member

State:
    Sugarcreek, Ohi
    I agree that many things go trip to trip, depending on the tendencies of the fish in your system. I have personally made a few long term changes including my rod length (i was using real short stainless steel poles, now using graphite rods 6ft+), line test(which i believe is a personal preference depending on what kind of fight one is looking at), and punctuated by the acquisition of my boat to lift the restriction of having to find a viable piece of shoreline that hasnt been fished so much that its unusable.

I also had bought a bait bucket with an aerator to use more lively bait this year prior to purchasing my boat, which offers 2 livewells, one of which will undoubtedly be primarily baitfish. Hopefully one or more of my changes will prove to be the catalyst that I am looking for to really turn a corner in my fish production.

5. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    This year I plan on targeting more cover and structure through the means of my boat. Last couple years of shore access was rough on me due to my knees. So I was limited to where I could fish. I plan on using heavier weights to keep my bait in the target zones. Gonna use a bigger live well to keep more bait on hand. So I can change baits more often keeping them fresh and lively. Attach a gps tracking device to Jack (Flathunter.) Oh and more beer for longer stays on the water. lol...

6. Tangler

Tangler New Member

State:
    Sugarcreek, Ohi
    Outstanding response! See, this is why we do this....I would have forgot all about the beer quantity inflation factor! Make sure you text me those coordinates from that gps too! :smile2:

-Tang

7. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The only thing i am going to change is more time this year fishing!!!:wink:

8. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    I would love to do this also, but I'm pretty sure I'd have to get divorced to go more than I go now. A excellent question, but I think I'll keep on doing exactly what I'm doing now. Keep on asking BOC Brothers how they catch fish till I learn how also.:smile2:

9. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I'm definitely gonna use BIGGER BAITS! I mean the 2 and 3 pounders:eek:oooh::crazy:.

I learned last year that there is no bait that's too big for a flathead.

With the big baits, I'm gonna use bigger hooks too! No more 7 size kahles, I'm moving up to 10s this year:confused2:!

10. Tangler

Tangler New Member

State:
    Sugarcreek, Ohi
    2-3 pounders!!:crazy: Thats some serious bait! I have nights that all i catch is a 3 pounder!:embarassed:

Tang

11. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    I agree with you Tan i am in serious need of some bigger hooks for the bigger baits. i went to 8/0-9/0's and still didn't like them. i need some 10/0's like you said. also want to try more bullheads this year if i can find them. also got my first baitcaster. want to try it out on flatheads this year as i have been strictly a spinning guy up to this point.

12. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I'm with you Brian I want to try bullheads too ,I know a spot to get some of those my question is ,is it ok to put em in with gills the bullheads I put in there wouldn't be larger than say 7-8" so I hope they wouldn't attack the gills

13. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    they will be fine Jim. just remember to change the water once in awhile if you have alot of bait in a bucket. the ammonia buildup will kill them. you could try that blue stuff that the baitshops put in their water. comes in powder or pellets and turns the water blue. helps keep them fresh and lively and keeps ammonia levels down.

14. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The only changes Im gonna make this year is location. With a soon addition to our family, a boy on the way, fishing trips and time spent on the water is probably going to be less for me this year. I have decided to mainly target lake flatheads this upcoming season. I won't be catching as many flatheads as on the rivers, but hopefully quality ones for the most part. We did pretty good on the lakes year before last, and last year gas prices kept us to just a few outtings. So I think I need to make the most of my time that I get, and thats the plan for this year. Goodluck to everyone....rollo

15. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    This year I plan on taking my 78 year old father out on more fishing trips..last month he had to have a pace maker and difibulator put in and all he talked about was when we went out fishing two years ago..he lives about 100 miles from me but this year I'm going to make sure I get up there at least once a month..not sure how many more years we have to make memories.. Other than that..I want to catch something over 30 pounds!!! Missed two nice fish last year that would have broke my PB and the year before that I missed several..just playing the odds I have to break that!!!

16. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Gonna be tough times Rollo! At least when your kids grow up, you'll be young enough to get out. If/when I have kids and by the time they get to college, I will be an old geezer:embarassed:

On the subject of hooks, there were a couple of occasions last summer when we would use "very large baits". We didn't expect to get any hit, just wanted to see if any flathead would mess with it. Low and behold, there were runs and we couldn't get a connection. I think it's because we didn't match the size of the hook with the size of the bait.

17. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I plan to significantly change my game this year, but it is because I am planning on buying a boat. Over the years I have made some changes that made a HUGE difference. The biggest change I ever made was targeting and area that you think holds fish instead of just sitting on the bank and casting out as far as you can towards the middle. That small change has turned a lake that I thought had NO cats in to a lake that I just tear them up!

Ever wonder why people in boats seem to fish as close to the bank as they can and people on the bank seem to throw out as far towards the middle as possible?

18. corklabus

corklabus New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Easy question........I'm gonna sneak off without the wife.

And divorce lawyers be damned..............:eek:oooh:

19. One Legged Josh

One Legged Josh New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Lets see here,
    I just got in my 14/0 Mustad circle hooks:wink: off of e-bay. $8.00 for 25
    I'm making slinky weights right now for drifting for channels (never have).
    I just got the materials to make some "rollo bobbers". (Never used floats).
    And I wanna use the boat and sonar to get more knowledge of the structure im fishing.

Attached Files:

20. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You will like them bobbers Josh, the work great on the river systems as well.. Here is the link for anyone that hasn't seen this, very cheap to make a bunch, and you can make them a small or big as you like....rollo

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93090