Changing Waterpump

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by cvyarb, Apr 16, 2009.

1. cvyarb

cvyarb New Member

State:
    virginia
    Hi,

I tried changing the waterpump on my 92 Evinrude 88SPL. I followed the manual's instructions and removed the shift linkage pin (put it in neutral), all the bolts, the little cavitation fin/whatever it is and bolts under it, and the lower unit wouldn't budge at all. I even tried hitting it with a small hammer, not that hard though, in case maybe it was just friction holding it on the powerhead shaft.

I am doing this because when I went to start the engine after dewinterizing it I noticed (after only a few seconds) that it wasn't pissing.

Second question, what type of fuel additive is best in your opinions since we now are using gas w/more ethanol?

Any advice would be appreciated and I am grateful.

2. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    There is a good chance it's just being a pain in the a$$, sometimes you just have to fight with it. I wouldn't go beating on it to much. Are you sure you got every bolt out? Does your motor have a trim tab? On my yamaha there is another bolt hiddin underneath the trim tab, and you cannot see it unless you remove the trim tab to gain access to it. Hope this helps. Maybe try prying it open gently with a flathead screwdriver if you are positive you have all of the bolts out. Could also try turning the flywheel by hand to see if it will loosen up a little, be careful. Good luck hope you get it figured out. Make sure you are ready to catch that LU to incase it decides to loosen up in a hurry.

3. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    According to the schematics of that motor on the evinrude site, it shows you have a trim tab. Remove it and make sure there isnt another bolt under there if you haven't yet.

4. Trapper-steve

Trapper-steve Well-Known Member

State:
    Bicknell, IN
    Did you disconnect the shift rod?

5. Trapper-steve

Trapper-steve Well-Known Member

State:
    Bicknell, IN
    Sorry I didn't read your post close enough.

6. roadkill636

roadkill636 New Member

State:
    warrenton misso
    on some moters that have been used in salt water the splines of the driveshaft have been known to be stuck solid into the crankshaft,

7. cvyarb

cvyarb New Member

State:
    virginia
    I did pull the trim tab and the bolts under it. I also already tried moving the flywheel and that didn't work.

I actually spoke with a mechanic today about my situation, he told me that if it were him he would do one of a couple things:
    -hit it with a rubber mallet (which I tried)
    -pry it with something if I could find a small gap between the unit and midsection of motor (tried but gave up cause was scared I was going to damage it)
    -pull shroud and apply heat

I guess I'm going to have to take it to the mechanic :(

Either way, I appreciate all of the advice.

8. cvyarb

cvyarb New Member

State:
    virginia
    This is what I believe has happened. Thanks for your help.

9. Trevor1

Trevor1 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    When you say it wasn't pissing, did you make sure the hole, or the line wasn't blocked, it's fairly common for this to get plugged up if the motor hasn't been ran for a while, it's possible that your water pump is working fine.

10. jasonminitruck

jasonminitruck New Member

State:
    tennessee
    My mercury done that also, and after about 15 seconds or so it started pissing fine it may just have something in it.

11. jlcperformance

jlcperformance New Member

State:
    moberly, missouri
    im pretty sure that the majority of the water goes out by the prop....how i always check to see if the water pump is working is why it is running fell right on the lower unit below the power head and feel how warm it is. if the pump is working it will be just a little warm if it is not it will feel hot. that is how i check all of my engines.

12. cvyarb

cvyarb New Member

State:
    virginia
    Yes, I pulled the hose and made sure it and the exit hole were clear.

Thanks anyways though.

13. cvyarb

cvyarb New Member

State:
    virginia
    Thanks JLC, unfortunately the lower unit has been hot, not so hot I can't touch it but close, I noticed this in the past when putting the ear muffs on to flush the engine after running it in slt water. It was still pissing well then though.

I am just going to have to take it in. Thank you though.