Changing Transom Height

Discussion in 'Boating' started by BILLYP, Apr 5, 2007.

1. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, North Carol
    I know you can change a short transom to a long, but can you change a long to a short?

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    If your talking about changing out your transom to fit a long or short shaft motor, I would hesitate a good long time before I did that. There are engineers who design these boats for their best characteristics and performances. I think I would just wait, cause in a few years you will probably have a new motor anyhow.

3. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I agree with Lawrence.

Consider shortening your motor, instead.

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Depends entirely on the boat and what its constructed of.
    If its a jon boat it can be done but its involved and costly if you cant weld aluminum.

Fiberglass boat. Know how the transom is constructed and how and where to lay some glass.

Wood boat. No problem. Break out the saw and start cutting and reglass once you are done. Wood boats or plywood boats are so much easier to make changes to.
    Even building off a set a plans often the plans have a 20 inch transom.
    Its not uncommon for a builder to buy a new motor or used motor and have to cut the transom down an inch or two to get that cavitation plate jiving with the bottom of the hull.

5. crome

crome New Member

State:
    ilm,nc
    i had an old lowe boat that i cut the top of the transom down,looked like it came that way when the job was done,my brother still runs that boat.