Changing The Bushings To Bearings In Ambassadeur Reels

Discussion in 'Catfishing Library' started by Abu, Dec 27, 2005.

1. Abu

Abu New Member

State:
    Hemlock,Ohio
    I have been asked this question several times so I'm posting how to instructions and photos. Hope this helps and PM any questions you may have.

Abu Garcia Ambassadeur Reels

Upgrading Bushings To Ball Bearings

I used a newer model Abu Garcia Ambassadeur 6000 Original Reel but it is the same for many of the Ambassadeur reels with bushings. If in doubt go to http://www.abugarcia.com/ and find the correct schematic for your reel.

Photo of the 6000 Original reel I upgraded from a single spool ball bearing to dual spool ball bearings.

[​IMG]

Completely loosen the 3 flathead screws on the outer edge of the side plate, they will stay attached to the side plate and not come completely out.

[​IMG]

Remove the side plate from the reel and this is what it will look like. Be careful not to lose the two little white plastic brake blocks.

[​IMG]

2. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Continued from post above

Remove the spool from the reel and turn the spool over.

Remove the white plastic dual gear from the spool (Spool Pinion).

[​IMG]

After the spool pinion is removed you will see the bushing inside the spool.

[​IMG]

Turn the spool over and if the bushing does not fall out give it a tap or two and it will come out.

[​IMG]

3. Whistler

State:
    TN

Turn the spool back over and replace the bushing with an original Abu Garcia Abec 3 sealed bearing to match your original bearing already in the other side of the spool. The new bearing is a size 4x10x4mm, part number 13472 available from Abu Garcia by calling 1-800-228-4272. You may also replace both bearings with a matching set of any type 4x10x4mm you prefer. If you are replacing both bearings there is a snap ring on the other side of the spool that needs removed to get to the bearing. There is also a thin spacer underneath the bearing on the other side of the spool, do not forget to put it back in and the new bearing will fit on top of the spacer.

[​IMG]

New bearing now installed inside the spool.

[​IMG]

Install the spool pinion on top of the bearing.

[​IMG]

4. Whistler

State:
    TN

Place the spool back inside the reel and make sure you have your fishing line inside the reel, not pinched against either side of the spool.

[​IMG]

Align the three screws of your side plate to fit in the correct position. If the side plate does not want to line up correctly remove it and make sure your brake blocks are pressed in tight. Do not try to force the side plate on, it should slide on easily without force.

[​IMG]

Tighten the three screws up on your sideplate and you are done. The screws do not have to be super tight, when you purchase the reel brand new you can usually remove them by hand. I tighten them as tight as I can get them by hand. If I am fishing and have a problem I can remove them without a screwdriver.

[​IMG]

5. Whistler

State:
    TN

Your reel is finished. Time to test your newly upgraded reel. Put it on your favorite rod and notice the improved casting distance and nice smooth retrieve you have created for a very small cost.

[​IMG]

I order the bearings from VXB Bearings, 4x10x4mm, stainless steel with metal shields in 10 packs for $19.95 plus shipping.
    http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/AbuGarcia/kit760

The stainless steel bearings are sealed, just what the bearing companies call shielded. I use them as they are when I receive them, they are a little faster than the original Ambassadeur Abec3 bearings so I replace the bushing and the original Ambassadeur bearing on the other side of the 5000 or 6000 spool so they are a matched set. I have heard of fisherman soaking the sealed bearings in lighter fluid and blowing out all the old oil with an air compressor so they can use a faster oil with them. They work fine for me as they are, and no maintainence required.

I order all my Carbontex drag washers directly from Smooth Drag, best prices and very low shipping prices. For all other Ambassadeur parts I give Pure Fishing a call and order the Ambassadeur parts. I have never used the ceramic bearings, mainly beacause of the high price, maintenance and I am not a tournament caster.If you see part number 13472 listed in the schematic, it is a 4x10x4 Abu Garcia Abec3 bearing, you can choose any type 4x10x4mm bearings to replace the 13472. Part number 19843 is the bushing number that is also replaceable with a 4x10x4 bearing. Price and speed tells me how much I want to spend on the bearings. If I was into tournament casting I would get the fastest bearings I could find. If I wanted to fish with a nice smooth casting and retreiving levelwind reel the super fast bearings would be a waste of money. You can buy fast levelwind kits with a bearing on each side, the kits are not cheap and I would go with a fast out of the box conventional non levelwind reel before I went that far. Got a great deal on a new Penn Squidder, can't wait to test it out on an 11' rod. Couldn't afford the Penn 525 Mag or that is what I would have bought.