Changing tactics for the winter???

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by derbycitycatman, Dec 29, 2006.

1. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Ive got a few things I do differently when fishing in the winter than I do the rest of the year. Smaller hooks and less bait are some things, seems to help. Does anyone else change where or how they fish for the slow winter bite? BTW thinking of hitting the Ohio River from the bank or some small neighborhood ponds.

2. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I may try to smaller bait today. I marked some good fish the other day and could not get them to hit at all. Smaller bait and smaller hooks were on my mind.

If I am drifting I drift a lot slower. I dress warmer too...:big_smile:

3. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Yepper I'd say dressing much warmer would be the first thing on my agenda for winter fishing.

Wheelmobile07

4. upncomincatfishking

upncomincatfishking New Member

State:
    Cheviot Ohio
    i asked a similar question earlier on.if anyone changed baits,size,depth,and distance from summer to winter.
    i've dont really fish in the winter.but i have been wantin too. i,ve been soakin up strategies and baits for winter. tryin to pick up all i can.

5. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I use the Lowrance alot more in the winter!! If there is no fish in the hole I will keep going. In the summer the fish seam to travel more. In the winter they pile up in a hole and they stay there for longer periods. I just look in the holes as I go down river till I find the fish and then I really look at where they are laying so I know where to cast. I go up river to the next snag or I drop a anchor and cast to the exact spot where the fish are laying. I do really good like this. Some time I might spend three hours just looking for the fish but it's worth it! When I find them I can fill a ice chest in a hour verses setting there all day not getting a bite at the first good spot I see.

6. fishing is fun

fishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri
    thanks for sollid advice

7. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I set up my boat in the winter with 3 heaters for duck hunting and don't take them out till spring. If you don't need them you don't have to use them.

8. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I actually use bigger hooks and bigger chunks of skipjack. Whole heads, gut pockets and whole sides. Hooks tend to be 10/0 King Kahles or 12/0 Gamahoweveryouspellit Big River hooks. We fish the channel breaks more too.