Changing rod color?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Kyle Hawkins, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Kyle Hawkins

Kyle Hawkins New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hi,

well i have a "Super Duty" setup thats just... tough. And i want to change the color of the rod.

Does anyone know how to do this?
    i was thinking about reflective tape, or trying to fing some orange or reflective shrink wrap.

Does anyone have any idea of how to change the color of a rod and still maintain a durable finish that couls stand up 2 rocks and ect..

Ps. its is a BPS Snaggin Special 7'

2. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    Some tape will probably work, but I'm not sure you would want to tape the entire rod. Maybe the tip and then a couple more places down the rod. Even colored electrical or duct tape would work if you don't need the reflective tape. For night fishing you may want to look at these: http://www.teamcatfish.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=35&products_id=52I just placed an order for some to try them. They look promising, plus they are a BOC sponsor (which is how I found them).

3. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    PM flamekeeper he will tell you all you need to know bro

4. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I agree! Flamekeeper knowns his stuff when it come to rod building.

5. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I'd think tape, or any type of material like that would be very noticeable while fishing,,
    Probably the best bet, would be to use a high quality grade of paint, that's impervious to solvents, scratches,, would be the most serviceable, lightest coating..IMHO

6. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I painted some for my nephew a few years ago.He wanted something he could see at night.I just masked the eyes and reel seat area off and painted them with some Wal_mart spray paint.No cracking or other problems encoutered.As for longevity,I can,t say because he never gets more than three years out of a rod before he breaks it somehow.They did hold up good for a few years though!I used bright yellow,it took a couple coats but it covered good.:wink:

7. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    well you could probally paint that broomstick with anything cuz it aint gonna bend enough to crack it:wink::tounge_out: want another one i got one in the garage taking up space $10 i dont think its ever been used:crazy: got a reel on it that will eat a 1/4# spool by its self that id get rid of too "uber duty"

8. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I repainted an old rod I had and used Krylon fusion. Did a real good job.

9. catfish1083

catfish1083 New Member

State:
    georgia
    i have tried reflective tape on some of my rods. it worked well for a bit but then it started to come off and interfered with the casting also if you dont want to use a lot of light it dose not work that well. hope this helps you out some.

10. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I think wrapping with tape would add a lot of weight. I'd mask off what I didn't want painted and try painting. Durability will depend on how hard it gets banged around. You could try some of whats on there, and a clear coat to protect it, or some auto paint and clear coat.

11. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Krylon or other high grade auto paint for plastic bumpers is the best you can get for rods, Its has the elastic properties in it to bend etc... and too keep it from cracking and chipping off over the years. Mask off, and buff with a rough scotchbrite pad or 1200grit. clean well with acetone. Hang from the tip and spin the rod several times by the handle one way and let go. It will spin backwards and then reverse itself a few times , giving you plenty of time to coat. Apply 2-3 thin coats to cover(allowing to tack a little between coats and finish with a couple of top coats of clear. That should last a lifetime.:wink:

I had a tip section painted yrs ago with regular auto paint and it started chipping( flaking off) and crackng in the first yr of fishing with it.