Changing Oil Filter

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Gordhawk, Nov 1, 2006.

1. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Anyone have any ideas on how to change the oil filter on a 2000 Yamaha 40HP Four Stroke without getting oil all over the inside of the case? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated,as it sure makes a big mess to clean up. I have thought about taking like a pampers baby diaper & laying under the filter to absorb the oil that leaks out as you loosen the filter. What do you think about that idea? Help Please,I'm getting tired of cleaning up these messes.
    Thanks,
    Glenn

2. crome

crome New Member

State:
    ilm,nc
    i just drain the oil out of the motor first,with the plug still out i tilt the motor all the way up,and turn the motor to the oppisit side as the filter,this will pour the oil off of the top of the filter into the crank case.then just lower the motor back down,take the filter off,and finish the oil change.i can do mine with one paper towel to wipe up doing it this way. hope this helps

jerry:smile2:

3. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    If you don't run the engine prior to draining the oil, the filter won't drip as much oil.

Slightly trim up the engine and turn the engine to the opposite side of the filter before removal. I always pack paper towels under it anyway.

4. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Jerry,
    Thank You so much for the information on changing the oil filter without having oil all over the inside of the case. Is it absolutely necessary to change the oil & filter before storing for winter? The oil was changed last fall before putting in storage and I doubt that I put 20 hrs. on the engine this past summer.

5. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Bob,
    Thank You so much for the information on changing the oil filter. If the engine hasn't been run for a while should I run it a little before I change the oil?It's been pretty chilly here so I just thought maybe I should run it for a while so it would drain better. I'm sure you know more about this than I do.

6. crome

crome New Member

State:
    ilm,nc
    my manual reads 100 hours or six months which ever comes first as far as when to change,if you oil hasn't been in that long i wouldn't worry about.i do like to change the oil on mine after the motor has ran just a little,seams to flow better when the oil is warm.and don't forget to drain and fill the lower unil, stabilize your fuel,and fog the motor before storage

jerry

7. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Running before changing doesn't hurt a thing, it just makes sure that the oil filter is full and the possible mess is more likely to be at it's maximum potential.

8. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks to both of you,Jerry & Paul,for all of your help. I've got to try & get this done tomorrow,as I'm suppose to put my boat in storage Saturday! Wish me luck.
    Glenn

9. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    About that mess you might make. I've done some beautiful messes, and trimming the motor done and spraying the oil mess with carb cleaner so it all runs off into the same drain pan as I drained the lower unit oil in works great. Then flush the area with water.

10. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I know that most people wouldn't own or have any idea what a MightyVac is unless you are in the mechanical field but for those of us who are, here's what I've been doing.

Use the suction cup supplied with the tool & punch a small hole in the oil filter & evacuate the filter using the vac tool...NO more mess:big_smile:

The auto manufactures are putting these oil filters in the worst spots possible:angry: & after having to pay to get someone's expensive paver driveway cleaned, I learned real quick.

I guess Necessity is really the mother of invention:wink: