Changing Motors

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by hunterhnc20, Mar 11, 2009.

1. hunterhnc20

hunterhnc20 New Member

State:
    Buffalo, West V
    I have a 75 hp Mercury on my pontoon boat right now. I want to go to a 115 hp motor or something close to that. If I do this would I have to get a new control and throttle cable or could I just hook up the new motor? Also if I get a suzuki or evinrude motor what changes would I have to make?

2. Big Vic

Big Vic New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    what ya goin to do with the 75 ? :confused2:

3. hunterhnc20

hunterhnc20 New Member

State:
    Buffalo, West V
    I will probably sell it. If I do change motors it will have to be soon because we have catfish tournaments coming up in about 4 weeks so if I dont get a bigger motor by then the 75 will stay on.

4. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    I believe if you stay w/a mercury you can use the same controls as long as they are in the same year range the controls fit, if you go w/alot newer or different motor you will need new controls/cables

5. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    It depends, we swapped an 89 johnson for a 94 evinrude, I think I was told atleast on the OMC motors that the controls were compatable between the 2 up to 1994, after that it was different for my motor atleast. If it were me just to save a headache I would try and purchase a motor that comes with controls and a harness. Otherwise it may get difficult trying to cross reference between the different color wires.