Changing Mono. How often?

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by opposum, Feb 20, 2009.

1. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    My gear sits in the garage through out the winter and summer so it is exposed to extreme heat and cold. In the near future I plan to start fishing again. So I had a few questions about line. How often should you change your line? Do you start every year with fresh line? I'm leaning on changing out all my line to start off the season. During the fishing season do you change your line after so many fish, weeks, trips, or what? Thanks for the advice.

2. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    yes i would start off every year with new line .

after that let the line tell you when to change if your mono is getting alot of memory ( curly tails ) when slack and casting i would change it if it seems weak for any number of endless reasons change it .

if its working fine your good to go !! different brands of line and strength test perform differently and believe it or not from spool to spool at times .

could be a month of use or 6 months or a year . too many variables to say exactly when :wink:

in my opinion ..

3. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    :wink:I agree with Scotty! but there are some things you can do that may help the line through punishing times. a little product called reelmagic, it helps castability extreme heat and cold weather conditions. This may help the bank account in these tough times and inprove the cast. Scotty has covered all the sighns that you need to change the line ....... reps to him!

4. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    Usually once every 2 years. I'll change the line from one spool to another spool once a year. This switches the part of the spooled line that isn't used over to being used. Just using both ends getting the most out of it.

5. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    On the setups I use alot I'll change mono out two to three times a season. When you catch good size fish in areas of heavy cover logs or rock, it puts alot of wear and tear on mono. Thats not mention sun, water, and weather. Every time you hook a big fish , or when you get snagged mono streches, and your line is weaked. On setups I don't use as much I change at least once a season.

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I check and replace, if needed, at the beginning of each season. I have a personal thing I do with mono, If I catch a fish I will run the first couple of feet of line through my fingers. If I feel anything wrong I will cut the line off and retie. Saves on line breakage and loss of fish.

7. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    Good tips from all. I appreciate your input. Mickey made a good point about checking the first couple of feet after each fish. I will usually do this when starting for the day and when catching each fish. You never know when your pb will hit. :0a18:

8. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I normally change mine once or twice a year,sometimes more depending on whether my line on the spool starts getting to low or worn looking.

9. Junior42

Junior42 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, KY
    I change mine after the winter. And after that I change it about every tenth fishing trip.

10. stone

stone New Member

State:
    CA
    LIke what Mickey does, I check my line after every catch and cut a few feet after every 2 fishes.
    this way i can retie the knots.

When Im home, i will check the entire length i have casted out with my fingers for nicks, kinks, dents, frays etc. by spooling into a bc reel or hand spool. I also cut away whats become visibly stiffer or lighten in color from whats in the spool.

when it gets lesser, I transfer the rest of the line onto a smaller reel. LIke from a Penn Spinning 8500SS to a abu 7000 to a 6500 and then to a smaller reel.

this way I use the line to the most and who says having a few more reels waste you money? Actually get to save all the line. :wink:

11. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    on my reels that i use around heavy structure i check and change as needed.on my reels that i use bank fishing on the arkansas river i change after ever trip.on these reels i use the cheep stuff from wally world and i do this cause of zebra mussels.these dern things cut your line all to pieces.most of my salt water reels are spooled with 100 lb.test and cost a couple hundred dollars to replace so i use it long as i can get by with it.

12. catfishcatcher

catfishcatcher New Member

State:
    indiana
    I totally agree with swordsman. If you fish a lot and in areas of rocks and trees you dont want to rely on that older line on a whopper fish. It just isint worth it. On my trip last year I changed line on all my rigs and ended up catching a nice forty pound flathead. I instructed by brother in law to change his line and put heavier line on. He didnt listen to me but did catch fish. He had a real nice one on that we never got to look at because it broke the line. We were fishing in a rocky area and he paid the ultimate price. He talks about that moment all the time. Dont let this happen to you. Change them out at least 2-3 times a season!!!!!!!!

13. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    i change mine ones a year to but like scotty said i keep a eye on it if it needs it i change agen

14. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I start every year with new line, a full spool. after each trip I strip 10-15 feet depending where I have fished. If Iam in the rocks I strip line after a good catch.I have never had to buy line during the year. so I guess I change line once a year.
    smokey

15. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    I change mine once a year, usually just before i start fishing in the spring. I do as others have said and check the first few feet of line by running it thru my fingers. Seems to work good for me.

16. jrack1

jrack1 New Member

State:
    mo.
    i have an old pole i bought 30 year ago with 20 lb line and never changed it. it still catches fish under 10 lbs. good luck with your line.

17. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Normally at least twice a season.If it start feeling rough and pitted like it had been rubbed with sand paper it has to go.

18. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    at least once a month, if not twice just depends on how much fishing i do

19. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I would make sure to change it at least annually! I get so many snags, mine stays pretty fresh. If you start losing fish, then you will know when it is time

20. Relocated-Yankee

Relocated-Yankee New Member

State:
    Goldsboro
    I change mine once a year, usually Jan/Feb, which is when I'm doing rod/reel maintenance anyway.
    I also use about 6' of heavier leader 50-80# test on the end of my line. Its stands up to abraision better and I just replace it when it does start to get scuffed-up.
    One of the biggest enemys to mono line is sunlight. Don't let your reel sit in direct sunlight when not in use.

Scott