Changing Handles On A Rod

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Gordhawk, Oct 30, 2007.

  1. Gordhawk

    Gordhawk New Member

    Is it possible to change the handle on a fishing rod? I have a couple that has that black foam rubber like stuff on the handles and I would like to be able to switch them over to cork. Anyone know anything about this? Your help would be greatly appreciated. If it matters they are trigger casting rods.
  2. JAinSC

    JAinSC Active Member

    South Carolina
    I t can be done, but it's not easy. Generally, when you build a rod, the handle is the first thing that goes on, becuase the handle, reel seat and upper grip are slid dwon from the skinny end and glued in place, before you put the guides on.

    So, the problem is that the very end of the rod blank (the fiberglass or graphite tube that the rod is built from) is a tiny bit wider at the very end (butt end) than it is 8 or so inches up at the top of the handle piece. SO the hole in the middle of the cork grip that you want to slide on would have to be as big as the fatter end of the blank, so the top end of the handle piece (where it's on the skinnier part of the blank) would be loose.

    You could build the whole thing from cork rings, with each one slit open and sized to the blank at the spot where it goes, and then the two piecesof the ring glued (epoxied) in place. Then when the rngs were all glued in and dry,
    you would sand and shape the handle. That would be a lot of work.

    Anyway, I'm no pro, so someone out there that works on rods a lot probably knows some tricks to get around the problems.