Changing gear ratio on an ambassadeur C4?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by nralover, Jan 21, 2010.

1. nralover

nralover New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    Is it possible to change gears on an Ambassadeur? I have a 6601 C4 and would like to go to a lower gear....

2. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    Yes ,I think the gears from a C3 will work.I don't think anything else is required , hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in.I am sure that the gears can be changed as I had this done to a 6600cl rocket by a friend.

3. nralover

nralover New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    Also, my local shop is selling new Ambassadeur 6000's on closeout for 49.99. Should I jump on one? It has a lower gear already in it, and then I have an excuse to buy a new rod:)

4. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Why??? ...W

5. nralover

nralover New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    I believe someone told me that a 6:1 ratio is less than ideal for catfish...

6. Jamesriver

Jamesriver New Member

State:
    Richmond
    I disagree, the faster the bedder, if you are cranking in any weight, something is wrong, you fight fish fish with the rod and drag not the gears.

7. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Myself I prefer the higher 6.3:1 gearing... gets the rig in quicker.. for me,,, less snags on retrieval..

but, Yes, you can change them out. all you need is the main gear and the pinion gear..
    5.3:1 is the most common alternate gearing to the 6.3:1 ratio,, known to me...

8. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I,d keep em at 6-1 too.Save yourself a little money.The rod does the work anyhow.For bank fishing,I like to be able to pick the line up as fast as possible when they,re runnning towards me anyhow.

9. MoHunt

MoHunt Member

State:
    Missouri
    Jay, I'd try it out first before swapping out gears for a lower ratio. Ya just might like it. But, buy that 6000 on close out anyway. Ya gotta have something to compare it too donja!

Is that from Dunn's up the street? He's got a bunch of 6000bs for $44.99.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  10. nralover

nralover New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    LOL- it sure is buddy. I thought I read 49.99- you are talking about the box of the red 6000's right? I don't know what a 6000bs is, I am not too savvy on the model numbers. Do they have any good catfish rods there?

11. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    You didnt mention how you fish ,,but one thing you might want to keep in mind,, I do a lot of bottom bouncing and drifting in deep water, If the fish are suspended they will come down to the bottom and grab the bait and head back up with it,, for me it takes all I can do to catch up to them to set the hook,,,"hi gears" really help wit this type of fishing..
    Food for thought,,
    Puddle.

12. harley5247

harley5247 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I prefer the 3.8:1 or 4.3:1 when using circle hooks. When using the higher ratios I have alot of fish come unhooked before i get them to the boat. I use the abu 5500c3 2speed (3.8:1 low gear and 6.3:1 high gear)
    for channel cat and 6500c3 2speed (3.8:1 low gear and 6.3:1 high gear) for blues and flats. I have a few 6500c3 reels that I have changed the gears to 4.3:1 and they work fine also for circle hooks.

13. MoHunt

MoHunt Member

State:
    Missouri
    That's 6000B as in plural, thus 6000Bs. I realize that was unclear. Don't know what he has in rods, haven't visited the store in a coupla years. I'm in St Charles County and it's a half day trip for me to Pevely and back. He must have a boat load of em' cause he was running a 'buy it now' on Ebay week or so ago; same price of $44.99, but he wanted $9.xx shipping and insurance, then he tacks on sales tax. I found a 6000 on Ebay, new, no box for less, minus the round trip to Pevely.

Still a heckofa deal, and he's gonna run out of em eventually. Abu Garcia list it as "6000B 12-00" in showing the schematic, so I'm thinking it might be a few years old.

Even if it's a 2000 model, as long as it's new, it'll last ya a lifetime anyway. Older's better anyways.

Sides, 100 years from now it won't make any difference.

14. Guthooked

Guthooked New Member

State:
    Ga
    I have a set of 3.8:1 gears for an Abu 6500. It makes it have way more cranking power but it takes forever to crank it in.

15. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Like Pat said no need to change out those gears on that c4, I caught a 50-lb flathead last year on a c4 with the high gear ratio.

The reel does not fight the fish, the rod does, the reel just lets out line and takes it in, just pump and reel, the faster you can get the line back on the spool the better.

16. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    Well,
    I do not like the super fast reels myself.
    I hate to reel in the weight and bigger baits that I will sometimes use with a 6.whatever to 1. The 5.3 to 1 is OK, i have some reels that are 4.1-4.8 to 1 that I really prefer. Even with a power handle the 6.1 is just too fast IMO. Of course I put 12-14 rods in the water almost every time I anchor up. It just gets tiring. I do not think that the higher gear ratio has any other drawbacks other than it tires me out reeling in all those flat weights and chunks of bait.

17. Motopro00

Motopro00 New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri