Changing gear lube

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by SwiftWater, May 21, 2006.

1. SwiftWater

SwiftWater New Member

State:
    Central Virginia
    How many quarts of gear lube do I need to change the lube in my lower unit on a 25hp yamaha? I assume 1 quart would be the correct amount and what brand should I go with?

Thanks,
    D

2. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    The amount varies from different manufacturers. Just depends on the size of the lower unit itself. I had a Merc 60 horse that only took 10 oz. I would think your 25 would use way less than a quart. Not sure what to tell you on the brand though. I always stick with the manufacturers brand and I always use synthetic.
    You know the proper way of changing it right, from the bottom up???

3. SwiftWater

SwiftWater New Member

State:
    Central Virginia
    Yeah, bottom to top is what the manual said, but I was unclear on how much it would take to fill it up. I went to Wally World and they had the pump and Penzoil lube in a package for 10 bucks. Maybe, I should look at the synthetics from my local boat shop.

Thanks,
    D

4. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Just pump it till it comes out the vent. I think it will hold between 1 to 2 quarts but no more than that.

5. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
  6. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Get the kit with the pump. They work slick, I just did mine yesteday. 70 Merc. It took 1/2 qt.
    good luck
    Larry

7. Don Miller

Don Miller New Member

State:
    NC
    my 60hp Yamaha holds less than a quart

I had a 25hp Nissan that held 10-12 oz...hope that helps....

8. SwiftWater

SwiftWater New Member

State:
    Central Virginia
    Mr.T, you know I've read through that darn manual at least 4 (more like 10) times and never saw that bit of information. I just flipped through the manual after I read your response and sure enough it's in there. Hmm, maybe I need glasses, lol.

Thanks, for all the replies,
    D